iax
TV help languages learning

Do you think that watching English program and movies without any subtitles could help us to better assimilate English? Or we lost time because we can't understand too much words and concepts? (considering that we are in this situation with our language level)

Jan 30, 2015 10:05 AM
Comments · 6

It helps if you are intermediate/advanced.

I think it is a waste of time for beginners. Also, they may misunderstand the use or translation of phrases, especially the variation in social situations.

If you want to get used to the sounds, listen to songs.

January 30, 2015

I think you should consider watching children's tv show by age group. They speak slowly and repetitively on one topic, and use expressions. Find a program where you can understand the majority of what is said, before going on to more advanced kid's program for an older age group. I don't think movies help much, unless they are documentaries where there is an effort made for information clarification. 

January 31, 2015

basing on my experiences, yes! definitely! it helps a lot. 

January 30, 2015

I think every effort you make is useful, but watching TV isn't very helpful if your English level isn't very good. It's quite disappointing to watch a film without understanding hardly anything. I have an advanced level and I find it very difficult to understand properly. Fortunately, other kinds of programmes are easier to understand.

January 30, 2015

If you are a beginner it can still be a useful thing to do, you just have to choose a programme which is more appropriate to your level, for example cartoons which will use simpler language which you will be easier to understand.

January 30, 2015
Show more