Suler
The language sense or the grammar? Which is more important?

In my opinion the language sense is much more important than grammar. None of people knew that what the grammar was when they were young and started to learning to speak. I even have no idea about the grammar of Chinese (my god! what a crying shame!) but it has no effect on me and I'm really good at writing. I always thought if I got a sense of English language then I would deal with it. I'm I right?

Jan 30, 2015 11:12 AM
Comments · 8

I agree that you need useful phrases to start with (not grammar rules), and being understood is more important... at beginner level.

The thing is, when you learn a second language, you already have your first-language grammar in your head, and that can be a huge problem a learner needs to get around. So, learning grammar rules for the new language does have its value. We aren't starting from scratch, and we have to re-learn a lot of basic habits.

If your main aim is just to be understood, then that's really no problem. Just speak and hope the message gets through. If you want to be "good" at a language, then it means lifting your standards and learning how the language actually functions.

February 2, 2015

I'm super agree.
Every native speaker learn to speak before ... Then learn grammar,
is so ...everywhere,
even if there are little errors about grammar but the language's sense is easy to understand ... it's okay.
Instead ...,even if the grammar is correct,
but the language's sense is not understood ... there is no comunication,,
and the effect is like this :

A: ''fuidvuf+à° hfbhù ?''
B : ''hogobgtàìh ehrtuvg jugrhhb ?! ''
A : ''gojhjjhhgf hyjhbj !''

comunication is... understand other and make oneself understood,
... Otherwise ..... ''gojhjjhhgf hyjhbj !''

Ciao Suler :)

January 30, 2015

I think you are right Suler.  The ability to "speak" the language usually occurs prior to knowledge of "rules" about the use of the language.

January 30, 2015

Yes Peachey! I think this is why they say learning the second language as your first language. You have to empty your head first and this is the most difficult part.

But the grammar is too uninteresting for me!

February 2, 2015

..yeah your right, as long as others can understand....but in my country they are very particular in grammar.

January 30, 2015
Show more