[Deleted]
Why do Chinese people use western names instead of their real names?

A Chinese guy added me on Skype and told me that his name is Cindy. I told him that I have only heard of women named Cindy, like Cindy Crawford. He told me that his English teacher gave him that name, but I think his teacher played a joke on him and he started using this name. I'm curious why do Chinese people use western names. How do you choose these names?

Jan 30, 2015 5:09 PM
Comments · 16

As the only Chinese here to answer the question,  I  think most of you are right .

It is definitely difficult for a foreigner to pronunce our names especially when he or she knows  nothing about our language .

On the other hand, there are way  too  many different Chinese names you may come cross and  it's mainly  because that Chinese people can use  many different kinds of characters they like to name their children . Like 天 (sky) 花(flower ) 海(ocean) and something English  speaking people may not use in their names. It is unlike English names that may have some fixed ones to only serve as names.  There are thousands of different characters in Chinese that you can choose to combine.

Also the meaning of our names is very important . When  parents are naming their children , they may pay more attention  on the meaning and every character they choose may have different wishes. So it's kind  of difficult to explain your names to the foreigners  if they don't really know our culture .

January 31, 2015

I agree with Fadi, it's beacuse most westerners can't pronounce chinese names.

In South Africa black people with long names often have English names or nicknames to make it easier for other people to pronounce. Did you know that Nelson Mandela's name was actually "Rolihlahla"? The name "Nelson" was given to him by his first teacher because it was easier to pronounce.

January 30, 2015

However, western people like have chinese names when they are in China. So, we can ask us the same question. 

I can say that for Chinese people is very difficult to pronounce our names, that is why we try to adapt our names. 

January 30, 2015

I think Chinese people westernize their names because they are is difficult to pronounce and writing.

January 30, 2015

It may also be that they want to fit in with the people they are starting to hang out with, if i use a chinese name when i hang out with chinese people then my foreign name doesnt stick out. So its also part of wanting to be accepted into this group of people who speak the language you are trying to learn and experience 

January 31, 2015
Show more