[Deleted]
Academic Cover Letters

I need to write a cover letter to apply for a scholarship and I'm a bit confused about what to write about since it's not a cover letter to apply for a job. I'm supposed to write a letter to get admitted into the program, but in my country it's not customary to write such letters, and this offer doesn't involve working as a researcher or a teacher. So, it's very different from other cover letters I have written before. I looked into academic cover letters on the internet but I still find the same suggestions:

why you want to work for this department or research group and how you’ll fit in
why you want this role

Rather than writing about why you want to work for the organisations (i.e. the University), focus on the department or research group. Show you know about what they do and perhaps who works there, and explain how you will complement or add to the expertise of current staff.

But this offer is just to get admitted. If I got admitted I would only be a regular student. So, these suggestions don't help much about what to write about?

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to write such letters?

Jan 31, 2015 11:38 PM
Comments · 3

puedes anadir las cosas que has hecho en tu vida que apoyan las razones que quieren ir alla y las razones que serás un ayuda por el programa

February 1, 2015

"I assume that they since you are from another country..." should read "I assume that since you are from another country..."

Sure would be nice if we could edit our posts.

January 31, 2015

With nothing more to  go on but that, I'd write about why I want to take the program, why I want to take it in that country (I assume it's in another country) and why you'd be an asset to the program.  I assume that they since you are from another country they want to be able to assess your comprehension of English and the seriousness of your desire to take the program. 

January 31, 2015