Victoria
How much time are you giving yourself to learn a language?

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know how much time you are giving yourself to learn a language. For example from complete beginner (no background) to A1, x months. Or from A1 to B1, x months.

The reason I'm asking is because I've seen lots of inspiring stories where people reached B1 or B2 fluency in just 3 or 5 months and I doubt if everyone else can do the same since I assume most people have full time jobs or study full time and won't have the time to do a very intensive language immersion.

Feel free to share your thoughts as well on why you decided to set that goal for yourself. Thanks!

Feb 1, 2015 8:25 PM
Comments · 8

Hello everyone, thanks for your responses.

@aegis: Thanks for that link. It is very helpful.

February 2, 2015

In principle I agree with Barry, but if you change the question to "how many hours" it gets easier to nail down. There are charts available that estimate the number of hours, but these are usually made for native English speakers, and they usually only reflect "classroom" hours. Here is an example:

http://www.effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty

February 2, 2015

Honestly, I am not rushing anything because I know that's something that can prevent some people from learning the language efficiently. But I am going to do my best to dramatically improve my Spanish this year. I want to be able to have a conversational level in Spanish by December. 

February 1, 2015

In my case I've studied English for almost 4 or 5 years I think. I've spent an hour at least in touch to English like videos, articles, discussions, tv series, podcasts, everything in English.

Now I can communicate basically with some mistakes but I can share my toughts.

February 1, 2015

There are too many undetermined variables involved in this process to give you an honesty answer.

February 1, 2015
Show more