user45846
Same language but different variants

Hello italkians,

A lot of languages have different variants as the Portuguese, Spanish, English etc depends on the country the person is from. In my opinion it's very important that students have contact with all variants, even if they are just learn one of varoants and when they write in notebooks can be a little confuse see a lot of different corrections.

So I have two suggestion: 1st who correct write what kind of variant is which as European/Brazilian Portuguese or American/British/Australian English or 2nd the italki add a aplication for we choose, thus do not get confused and they can see the differences, some of them think they do a lot of mistakes because of the variants.

Feb 1, 2015 11:28 PM
Comments · 9

Camilo Exactly that can confuse the students, I remember when I made a correction in European Portuguese and the student as very very aggrieved saying for what he want a correction in European Portuguese if he was learning the Brazilian Portuguese and the text was full of mistakes what kind of incentive he should have if always he see his text are full of mistakes. I always do the corrections with 2 colors for students have notion of mistakes and the suggestions and I tell always what kind of Portuguese I do the corrections, some persons do the same of me but almost don't do it.

It's just a different variant people should understand that.

February 1, 2015

For English specifically, the differences between standard written US and British English are very, very small, so I usually don't bother pointing it out. The variation only comes with some small differences in spelling (US uses 'z' whereas UK uses 's' for certain words e.g. recognize vs recognise and also on words like colour and honour American English removes the u to be 'color' and 'honor' instead) and some slightly different vocabulary but even with the different vocab people can still understand each other entirely. For example a British person will always know what a 'closet' or a 'sidewalk' is even though we use 'wardrobe' and 'pavement' instead. Some people seem to think they are more different than they really are, but if you learn any version of English you will be understood in any English speaking country.

February 2, 2015

I agree with Paul. As he says, American and British English are not nearly as different as outsiders believe them to be, and the written language is almost identical.

It is possible for a British or American person to read a whole page of English text and not know whether the writer is from the US or the UK. If you come across a spelling such as centre rather than center, humor rather than humour, practising rather than practicing, or traveling rather than travelling, that will be an indication - but it really doesn't matter. These tiny differences will not cause any misunderstanding, and most people would barely notice them.

Sophia says '<em>I don't want do a mix I think stay horrible do a mix and how I learned the British version I want write that one' .  </em>

Believe us, there is only ONE form of standard written English, used by ALL English speakers, wherever they come from. Apart from those few unimportant spelling differences, we all read and write the SAME language, with the same structure and grammar, and 99% of the same vocabulary.

Nobody needs to worry about a 'mix'. Canadian English, for example, often uses US vocabulary alongside some British spellings, and I don't think Canadians would be too happy if anyone told them that this was 'horrible'.

Sophia, take our advice. Don't worry about 'variants'. This like worrying whether to put white or dark chocolate sprinkles on the top of your cake before you've worked out how to bake the cake itself. Concentrate on the cake first.

The main thing, for anyone learning a foreign language, is to speak and write clearly and accurately, with correct grammar and appropriate structure and vocabulary. Readers may misunderstand a student who uses poor grammar or inappropriate vocabulary. A reader will never misunderstand a student who writes 'color' rather than 'colour'.

<em>
</em>

February 2, 2015

I have seen many Spaniards who write that corrections made by Latinamericans are wront, and they don't take into account the fact that our Spanish is different from that they speak.

February 1, 2015

So do you think with the English it's just a question of difference in speech, making differences in write isn't necessary?  Yeah with Portuguese and Spanish it's a problem with another languages I don't know I was waiting more people saying if exist problem or not.

February 2, 2015
Show more