[Deleted]
Wanted: Hamburger Boy...

When I was a child, I was mostly exposed to the cantonese language and watching a lot of cartoons in cantonese. In fact, I think it was the only thing I would ever watch because I didn't know any other languages by then. This was way back before I would start learning swedish, norwegian and english making me to forget cantonese "just like that". While reminiscing back, I remember one cartoon that struck me and that is a specific animated series dating back from the 80's (cantonese dubbed). I just can't get my mind off of it and I was kind of hoping if you guys could help me find out it's name... As implied I cannot remember the name of the cartoon, but what I do remember is that the main character was named "Hom Bou Bao" - which literally stands for Hamburger in cantonese. I will try and describe the series based on what I can remember of it, but don't take it for granted...

Hom Bou Bao is a boy with a lot of dreams and a huge appetite for (guess what) hamburgers! I don't think there's ever been one episode where I haven't seen him eating anything but hamburgers... Oh and did I mention that his head is shaped as oval as a hamburger as well? If not, I'll tell you: His head is shaped as oval as a hamburger... Hom Bou Bao is a very kind boy and because of his lack of appearance, one of his dreams is to be one of the more popular guys among the students from his school/kindergarten. Hom Bou Bao and his friend - a "magical buddy" - which for some reason he's nagging constantly to, gets into all kind of adventures (trouble) together... This "magical buddy" who is able to grant any kind of dream-wishes to Hom Bou Bao would be the most patient guy in the world if it weren't for Hom Bou Bao screwing things up constantly.

Hom Bou Bao is a naive, funny and an adorable character who often falls in love with girls quite often. But unfortunately for Hom Bou Bao his main weakness would be his confidence towards girls - and that's where his "magical buddy" comes into play with his magical skills to help him out.

It still bugs me to this day not being able to find the cartoon-serie through Google Search.

So my question is not really related to the cantonese language, rather a question to you cantonese speaking people out there if you recognize which animated series I am talking about. Note: The series might or might not be from Japan, I'm not sure. Any help is appreciated and I really wish to find out!

Dennis.

Feb 9, 2015 9:55 PM
Comments · 3
February 14, 2015

Hello, Aman.

I really can't remember how the magical character looks like. But it is a very good comparisation. It is very similar to Doraemon. :-)

Do you have any clue?

February 12, 2015

What exactly is that magical buddy ? Coz it's kinda like Doraemon.. But it's not... Is it a frog?

February 11, 2015