Baggio
Having trouble remembering Korean words made up of four consonants? (e.g. 옳다)

I learn new words mostly through reading, and the textbooks I'm working with in Korean, and the occasional look at a list of most commonly used words by TOPIK. 

However, whenever I encounter words with four consonants, I almost never manage to remember these words. 

Does anyone have similar experiences when learning Korean, and if so, how did you overcome it?

Or if you didn't, how else did you learn vocabulary in a way that makes it stick? 

여러분 안녕하세요~ 지금 한국어를 배우고 있서, 새로운 단어를 매우 종요한것 같은데, 이것은 공부한 것은 제가 한국어 배운계획안에 일분이에요. 지금 독서, 책, TOPIK 가장 자주 사용되는 단어 리스트를 통하야 공부하 고 있어요. 

근데, 4 자음/모음로 만든 단어들을 보기 할 때마다, 강의 이단어들을 기억할 수 없는 같아요. 

한국어 배우고 있는 사람들이 에게 물어보고 싶어요 - 새로운 단어들을 배운때, 비슷한 문제를 있어요? 그러면, 어떻게 해결해요? 

아니면, 어떻게 단어들을 효과적으로 배워요?  

감사합니다~

Feb 17, 2015 9:55 AM
Comments · 4

My korean is super basic so I'm sorry if I'm completely making up words here haha

But you mentioned not being able to remember the silent consontants because of remembering them like '옳다, so maybe try also remembering them both as 옳다 and as '옳이에요' (I don't know if that's correct, I was going for 'it is right') but anyway my point is that if there is vowel after the verb stem then you will hear the ㅎ and maybe then you will remember it? :)  

February 21, 2015

@Emma That's actually a good point - I haven't actually thought of it deliberately - I think I'll remember these words in other tenses. Thanks for pointing it out! 

February 21, 2015

예를 들어서, 다, 다 - 너무 어려워요! (For example, 옳다, 삶다 - these are really difficult to remember!)

저는 보통 새로운 단어들을 보기과 듣기 통하야 배우고 있어서, 4 자음/모음으로 만든단어들이 1 자음 소리내지 않는게 발음했는데, 항상 그 서리없는 자음이 뭐지 잊아버리고 있어요. (Because I usually remember new words by looking at or hearing them, and words with four consonants / vowels usually have one consonant that is silent, I always forget what the silent consonant is.)

e.g. 싫다 - 발음:실다, 소리업는 자음: ㅎ - "ㅎ"는 항상 잊아버려요~

ㅋㅋ

@경봉씨 감사합니다~! 영어에는 민제가있으면, 저도 드릴거예요! ^^

February 18, 2015

I learn new words mostly through reading, and the textbooks I'm working with in Korean, and the occasional look at a list of most commonly used words by TOPIK.

However, whenever I encounter words with four consonants, I almost never manage to remember these words.

Does anyone have similar experiences when learning Korean, and if so, how did you overcome it?

Or if you didn't, how else did you learn vocabulary in a way that makes it stick?

여러분 안녕하세요~ 지금 한국어를 배우고 있서, 새로운 단어를 매우 종요한것 같은데, 이것은 공부한 것은 제가 한국어 배운계획안에 일분이에요. 지금 독서, 책, TOPIK 가장 자주 사용되는 단어 리스트를 통하야 공부하 고 있어요.

근데, 4 자음/모음로 만든 단어들을 보기 할 때마다, 강의 이단어들을 기억할 수 없는 같아요.

한국어 배우고 있는 사람들이 에게 물어보고 싶어요 - 새로운 단어들을 배운때, 비슷한 문제를 있어요? 그러면, 어떻게 해결해요?

아니면, 어떻게 단어들을 효과적으로 배워요?

4 자음/모음이 예를 들면 어떤 단어 들이죠? (what are these words with four consonants?) 

저도 영어를 배우는 동안에 단어를 외우지 못하는 어려움에 부딛쳤었어요ㅠㅠ ( i have been facing lots of dificuties learning words by heart while learning English.) 

어려운 단어는 반복적으로 보고 외우는 수 밖에 없는거 같아요 ( i think the only way to memorize them is to see words that can be forgotten easily on a regular basis.)

걱정말고 한국어 공부 열심히 해요!! 제가 도와 드릴게요 ( do your best to learn Korean with no worries. i will stand by you! ) 

February 18, 2015