[Deleted]
Causative use of the verb "fare"

When you use the construction <em>"make + base verb form"</em> in English, you are using the verb <em>"make"</em> as a causative verb.

You can do the same in Italian: you can use the construction <em>"fare + infinito"</em>, thus using <em>"fare"</em> as a <em>"verbo causativo"</em>.

There is a big difference though, between the causative use of "make" and <em>"fare"</em>:

In English you have to separate<em> "make"</em> and the following base verb by putting the object between them:

<em>"How to make children laugh";</em>

whereas in Italian you cannot separate them:

<em>"Come far ridere i bambini".</em>

Another example: 

<em>"That which hath made them drunk hath made me bold."</em>
(William Shakespeare, Macbeth);

is translated in Italian as:

<em>"Ciò che ha reso ubriachi costoro ha fatto audace me"</em> 

(N.B. reso, rendere = fare, far diventare).

Any exceptions? Of course: this is Italian!

When you are using <em>"fare"</em> in the gerundive mood, present tense ("facendo") or in the infinitive mood, present tense ("fare"), clictic pronouns have to stay between <em>"fare"</em> and the following infinitive verb:

<em>"Come farli ridere"</em> (that is to say: "<em>How to make them laugh</em>");

"<em>Facendoli ridere</em>" ("<em>Making them laugh</em>").

<em>A chiunque abbia letto questo, auguro buono studio! :)</em>

Feb 23, 2015 1:19 PM
Comments · 3

Grazie, Daniele. Voglio farti sapere che penso che questo sia una lezione molto utile. Ho scritto giusto?

February 23, 2015

Hmm... la parola 'questo' è sbagliata, no?

February 23, 2015

Hai ragione: la parola "questo" doveva essere "questa", perchè segue "lezione", nome femminile. Il resto è perfetto. Grazie mille a te, Su.Ki.!

February 23, 2015