Dorothy
Netflix discussion for Spanish learners

I figured out how to scan Netflix for which programs have Spanish subtitles, but not for which programs are in Spanish or are dubbed and also have Spanish subtitles (which is what I myself am looking for primarily). 

So, I thought we might make a list of programs with Spanish subtitles, tell each other if it's in Spanish too and then give little reviews or opinions. 

In general I have found that Netflix brand subtitles (in their own productions) are often quite different than the words spoken and therefore become more advanced just because of that. 

Cartoons however seem much easier because the subtitles usually match what is said. I used Star Wars, The Clone Wars (o La guerra de los clones) which was a very long series of cartoons to start with. It's streaming on Netflix. Obviously, it's not the most interesting thing in the world to watch if you are no longer a teenager or a die-hard Star Wars fan, but it was much better than the rest of the cartoons for real teenie boppers. 

Now I´ve just started Boss. It's series about a hard-ass politician with an intense and interesting health issue. Even though I'm more advanced now than when I watched Star Wars, Boss is so fast paced that even though I can get the drift, I lose too many words even with the subtitles on, so I first read the subtitles out loud with the sound off and then watch it in Spanish with the Spanish subtitles. It's an adult and interesting program, so I don't mind the extra work involved. 

Have you watched any Netflix movies or series in Spanish that you can add to the list and review for us?

Feb 25, 2015 2:06 AM
Comments · 16

That's another great strategy Jesse! Audiobooks are wonderful. I was using Albalearning.com which is this cool lady named Alba who has the hard copies and her reading them for free on the internet. I put them on my MP3 player and print out the stories. Some of the stories are really short (some long) and I like her accent and speed so it has been a good match for me. I'm going to have to keep audible.com in mind for when I'm ready for books again. There's nothing quite like holding a paperback. :D Right now though, a few minutes in front of the boob tube is all the time and energy I have available. :) I'll keep El Infierno in mind for the future when subtitles aren't as important. Is it really easy to follow without the subtitles? 

February 25, 2015

I can't wait to try that Carl. Thanks!

February 28, 2015

If you are using your laptop to watch netflix, you can download a program called 'Hola' which allows you to change the country from which you stream netflix. I haven't experimented much with it, but i tried changing my location to Peru, which made me able to watch the programs on peruvian netflix where all movies and series are dubbed to spanish speech, and you can choose spanish subtitles as well. 

It's not too bad :) 

February 27, 2015

I do have Netflix.

Amores Perros is a fantastic, albeit dark, type of movie, but it doesn't have Spanish subtitles on Netflix, as is the case with all Spanish movies I've found on Netflix.

I've also found Laberinto del fauno to be a little too dark for my tastes as well. Perhaps that's why I liked El Infierno so much. It falls under Dark Comedy.

Another Spanish movie that's maybe a more traditional comedy is Saving Private Perez. Still no subtitles, at least on the Netflix version.

February 25, 2015

Very sorry, I didn't bother to clarify: I only just watch a new movie the first 2 or 3 times. After that, I always multi-task the movie with something else. i.e. translating, reading a history book, reading news articles, etc.

Because movies keep playing whether you're paying attention or not, I almost always have a foreign movie playing in the background of whatever I'm doing (except for when I'm listening to audiobooks of course). 

So, by seeing 100 times, really I should have said I've played the movie from beginning to end with while being in the room at the same time :) I've since given up on trying to find Spanish movies with Spanish subtitles, so this was the alternative I've forced myself to accept.

February 25, 2015
Show more