Patty1219
Could you explain the red part to me with some other secens or examples, thank you beforehand

(Joey enters.)
All: Hey! Big star!
Monica: Hey, wait a minute, aren't you the guy who plays the butt in the new Al Pacino movie?
Joey: Nope.
Ross: No? What happened, big guy.
Chandler: (to Ross) "Big guy?"
Ross: It felt like a 'big guy' moment.
Joey: I got fired.
All: Oh!
(This is the writer: What I don't get is "big guy" is usually what Chandler and Joey call Ross, however, this time, Ross call others big guy and put it that it's a big guy moment.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Chandler's involved with a glamourous married woman who dates with two men(Chandler and Ethan) at the same time and the three man( her husband and Chandler and Ethan all are OK with it). Now, Chandler finds that she is date with a second man named Andrew and feel resentful. Here comes the conversation)
Aurora: So what'd you want?
Chandler: You.
Aurora: You have me!
Chandler: No-no, just you
Aurora: What'd you mean?
Chandler: Lose the other guys.
Aurora:like... all of them?
Chandler: Come on, we're great together, why not?

(Does "like"mean "for example" here)

Feb 26, 2015 2:25 PM
Comments · 4

Short Explanation

"Big guy" is often used to give encouragement or to support somebody who is having trouble. However, it is most often used by adults speaking with children, so when it's used used among adults, it can be patronizing. In this episode, though, it is not meant in a patronizing way.

Example

Son (crying): "Dad, Blake just stole my juice then told me to go away . . . "

Father: "Hey there, big guy! I can get you more juice, but let's go talk with Blake and see what's going on."

Explanation of Script

[My additions are in bold.]

(Joey enters.) I'm guessing Joey just got back from an audition.
All: Hey! Big star! Everyone is trying to be supportive.
Monica: Hey, wait a minute, aren't you the guy who plays the butt in the new Al Pacino movie? Monica is joking, asking if Joey has a role in an important movie (Al Pacino a <em>hugely</em> famous actor).
Joey: Nope. 
Ross: No? What happened, big guy. Ross is trying to be supportive by saying "big guy".
Chandler: (to Ross) "Big guy?" Chandler finds this odd because the term is usually used toward children. 
Ross: It felt like a 'big guy' moment. Ross says that he felt that using the term was appropriate. In fact, I agree with Chandler that it was an awkward thing to say.
Joey: I got fired.
All: Oh!

June 20, 2015

P.S. "Big guy" is not an important thing to know, so don't worry about this one too much. :)

June 20, 2015

Thanks all the same

February 27, 2015

"Like" is here used as a meaningless filler word. I suppose it might be interpreted as "do you mean...?"

"Big guy" -- I have no idea.. maybe somebody who is more familiar with the series can help.

February 26, 2015