Heldo
Brazil's Portuguese

I see people posting they want to learn Portuguese. In my point of view, people must be aware that the spoken-portuguese in Brazil is different from other Countries who speak it. We have our own dialects and culture. Most our idiom and expressions are totally different from other Portuguese language Countries. There was an attempt to create a portuguese standard language, although it didn't work and it goes on just into paper.

What do you think about it? Is there people's preference to speak Portuguese from Brazil or Portugal?

(Please, could anyone correct my text? In advance I am thankful).

Feb 27, 2015 12:49 AM
Comments · 6

I'm learning Portuguese and I have 2 Brazilian teachers and 2 Portuguese teachers and it works fine! There a no differences in the grammar that worry me, but the pronunciation differences were tricky at first.

Mind you, the biggest difference is not between the Brazilian and the Portuguese, but between the Brazilian teacher from the north of Brazil and the teacher from Rio. Many of the words the northerner says sound just like my teacher from Portugal. But the teacher from Rio is really very different.

So, I try to remember who I am talking too and adjust the amount of cha cha cha!

February 27, 2015

Dan, what you have heard is true. The phonetic is very different. It's quite like to compare British English to American. In the same word it's possible to have until five different phonetic according to Country and its region. I think language in Portugal is conservative. In Brazil our Portuguese has already changed and it is adapted to each kind of people in Brazil. Here we have five regions, that people are different in culture and their origin. We have a mix of people from several parts of the world. So, it do people to change how the words are pronounced. Inside our own Country we have a variety of phonetic, but this does to enhance our culture. It's hard to learn Portuguese with so many rules, grammar, phonetic and spellings. Whether for us it is difficult I wonder for you, foreigners.

If you have some question else, please let me know. I will be glad to answer you and practicing my English. Sorry for my mistakes...

Best regards.

February 27, 2015

I've heard that there's a controversy about Portuguese spelling. As I understand it, the spelling of the Portuguese language is supposed to be phonetic--but Brazil and Portugal have now diverged so far that if the spelling is phonetic for Brazilians it isn't phonetic for Portuguese, and <em>vice versa</em>.

Is that right, and can you tell me more about it?

February 27, 2015

Madam Miller, you are totally right practicing Portuguese language with a teacher from Brazil and another from Portugal. In my opinion, your strategy is great. You have a teacher from Brazil's Northeast and another from southeast. It's perfect. 

I agree with you that the grammar is the same, because is the foundation, but the spoken Portuguese is different among Portuguese language Countries. Expressions and meaning of several words when used in some context don't make sense for us, either we speaking Portuguese. In written Portuguese there is difference as well. There is an agreement among Portuguese Countries to pattern this. To my knowledge it is not working yet.

In conclusion, I meant people must to draw your goals and focus on those. What are your goals? If you want to talk more to Brazilians, then you must master with Brazilian teachers, so you are knowing the culture also. I think that the culture influences the language as well.

In advance, sorry for my mistakes in English that I have done in my text. I have been learning your language as well.

You are welcome. If you want to exchange language and you want to know Brazil's Midwest accent, it will be a pleasure to Skype with you.

February 27, 2015

Sorry...didn't mean to put a line through "Is it"

February 27, 2015
Show more