Azalea آزالیا
Language Rules Change- (Let's begin with ۀ)

Languages are constantly evolving.  Grammar and punctuation rules change before our very eyes. As we get older it can be challenging to keep up with these changes especially when we are no longer in an educational environment. What we learned in school as children may quickly become obsolete.  

Several changes were made to Korean grammar around 1985. (Please correct me if I have the wrong year.) I lived in the United States at that time and as it was in the days before the internet it was sometimes confusing to know what was correct. Korean speaking people living in the United States who made changes to their writing earlier than others were often thought to be wrong. As I am not Korean or even fluent in Korean, when I finally became aware and started using the new spellings, I was corrected left and right (that means all the time, from nearly every direction)! It was hard.  Eventually, thanks to the internet, the problem was solved!

Although standards in English do happen, they are not usually so easily made because English is not controlled by one single country or official language entity as it is in Korean and Farsi are.

Ok, to my point.  I recently wrote a "poem" in Farsi (http://www.italki.com/entry/526396).  Thanks to the kindness of several friends, I had the opportunity to compare various revisions  several of which were sent by private message. One particular point has not been resolved.

خنده ی آنها موزیک من است

Some reviewers left خنده ی as is.  Others suggested خنده. Mazyar wrote خنده, and in a discussion over Skype clarified that it actually should be خندۀ. He taught me how to make this mark ۀ "shift+g". (Actually, he taught me this several months ago, but I am a bad student.  I obviously forgot!)

I open this discussion to share our knowledge about the changes in standard Persian writing.  At the moment, I am particularly interested in ۀ because I need to revise my writing and don't know what to write.  Although I do trust Mazyar's knowledge of Persian, others whom I trust have said that he is wrong, or that he is misunderstanding a grammar point. 

To clearly share our viewpoints please write in either English or Persian, whichever you choose.  Although, I won't be able to understand the Persian, in the end, I will get AN answer.  :)  I know  we can all benefit from sharing our viewpoints. 

I would appreciate it if someone would kindly summarize this message in Persian for others. 

Feb 27, 2015 5:55 PM
Comments · 27

Hello,

I'm here because of my friend's request! Aside respecting all other ideas even those which may oppose mine, I definitely say that according to the new rules (Persian gramatical rules have changed recently), it should be:

Old rule:  خندۀ آنها

New rule: خنده ی آنها

Thanks to the internet it is not really dificult to find such information, so good luck with your research.

February 27, 2015

Dear Maziar,

First, you referred us to a link that is official and SHOULD BE reliable, but... .

Second, please notice when this website was last updated.

Third, the thing that I prefer to direct all of you to is what is taught in elementary schools these days. So, please take a look at the title of the first lesson in the official third grade book in elementary schools (Publishing is under authorization of The Ministry of Education):

http://www.chap.sch.ir/sites/default/files/books/92-93/4/001-030-C9.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally, for the information of the person who posed the question. It's not such an important matter!

February 28, 2015

Most people now write ی instead of ۀ You can write خنده ی , بچه ی, هدیه ی, گریه ی and so on without any need to use ۀ. Both are pronunced the same way in words that end with ه. To me, it's easier to use ی  I have always had problem with ۀ since I was in the first grade. I'm really happy now that it has become obsolete. 

February 27, 2015

Hi Mohsen! Thanks for getting this discussion started!

.مازیار جان، تو این گفتگو را دوست داری؟ منم دوست دارم چون اینجا می‌توانم به فارسی بنویسم

سلام، مسعود جان
So, you are saying that this changed from an old rule to a new rule and then back to the old rule again? I will take another look at the wiki article. Maybe I can search for that part. English, mistakes? No, my friend. Only a few. I will point them out to you later. :)

February 27, 2015

Although standards in English do happen, they are not usually so easily made because English is not controlled by one single country or official language entity as it is in Korean and Farsi are.

*Although English standards do change, such changes do not occur as easily because English is not controlled by one single country or official language entity as Korean and Farsi are.

February 27, 2015
Show more