[Deleted]
What if I develop my own special English accent?

I listened to English a lot, but I found it hard to obtain an authentic real English accent.I listened to both American English and Britain English.Britain accent is beautiful, graceful and musical (?),but American accent is energetic, natural, and seemingly easier to learn, so I decided to learn American accent. I listened to it everyday and watched many American movies and TV shows and now my listening improved a lot, but when I'm speaking or reading English myself, I find what I said was neither American English nor Britain English. it's like the combine of the two or whatever else (who knows) .it's not the words–pronounce problem but the accent problem, because I can speak a single word correctly. But when it comes to sentences , it sounds special. Is there any way by which I can obtain an authentic real American accent or is it okay for me to speak like this so long as I can communicate with English native speaks? 

Mar 1, 2015 8:03 AM
Comments · 3

I honestly wouldn't worry about trying to perfect a particular accent, mostly because there is no such thing as a standard British or American accent. If you're copying accents you hear in films or on TV, the actors often speak differently from their natural accent, and each actor could come from a different part of the UK or USA. 

March 1, 2015

Just Me

Remember;    you can do anything you want.

It is the language alone that matters.  Nobody cares about "accents".

For reasons unknown,  it seems that concern about how an "accent" sounds is the

occupation of those learning English as a Second Language.  Nobody in America,  for example,  cares about "accents". Everybody here has one you see.  Don't worry over the issue.  Speak the language anyway you like.  Everyone will understand you anyway.

March 1, 2015

Hi!

I agree with you, both accents are cool (but still, I prefer the British accent) ;)

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about your accent. It is possible to work on accent reduction but a language is mainly a mean of communication so I would say that it's completely fine to have a non-native accent (people could also find it fascinating, who knows) as long as you can communicate with people.

It's good that you did a lot of listening practise but probably the next step is to USE the language with a native speaker on a regular basis so that you can actively work on your accent.

One last advice: probably it's best to focus on one accent at time ;)

Good luck!

March 1, 2015