Katherine
BA thesis - British and American native speakers needed!

Hello everyone :)

This year I'm graduating from my University. I'm looking for help from native British and American English speakers. The experiment I'm about to do will go as follows: I'm going to play recordings of native speakers reading a short text, then the participants will rate the attractiveness of the speakers' voices. The speakers are absolutely anonymous.

Is there anybody who would like to record himself/herself reading the text? Gender and age is not important, the only thing that matters is speaking British or American English.

If you're interested, please write to me, so that I could send you the text to read.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 1, 2015 6:01 PM
Comments · 9

Ah, I seeee! Then differences in voice texture/pitch/etc. might become the variable instead haha! I do speak British English, but sadly, not with a British accent. So I won't fit the criteria!

March 1, 2015

Hey Katherine! That's a really interesting experiment! But if your intention is to examine the attractiveness of voices, you might want to pick speakers with a specific accent to be recorded in the recordings. This would rule out the variable of the difference in accents. For example, if a participant finds the British accent to be more appealing than the American accent, they might subconsciously be attracted to the voice recording of the speaker with the British accent, without considering only the attractiveness of the speakers' voices. So it's better to decide on a specific accent. It can be difficult, though, since there are many variants of accents (for example, a person from Texas may have an accent that's different from a person from New York even though they both speak American English). Nevertheless, I'm sure it'll be an intriguing experiment! I wish I could help make a recording for your experiment, but I have a very ... strange/unique Singaporean accent even though I speak British English. So I don't think I'll be a good candidate for your audio recordings haha! Good luck, and be sure to share your results here when you're done with it! :D

March 1, 2015

yes, unfortunately it does... but if you knew any American or British speakers who would like to help me, let me know please :)

March 10, 2015

I'm Canadian... Does that knock me out of the running too?

March 10, 2015

Hi everyone, I'm still looking for your help! Is here anybody who would like to contribute to science? :)

March 10, 2015
Show more