Jeisson Valderrama
How long I can To get fluent in English

I'm learning English, and I want to know approximately, how long I can to get fluent for Speak and for example underestand a movie spoken in English

Mar 4, 2015 1:38 AM
Comments · 5

Your vocabulary based approach that you suggest is very ineffective in my opinion Tyler. That does nothing to help you understand how words are naturally used in conversation or to actually understand them when spoken or think of them while speaking. On top of that, memorization approaches by and large don't help you retain words in the long term. If you're learning the words through reading that's better, but it still doesn't beat actual conversations.

March 4, 2015

MIke I get where youŕe coming from, but I disagree, it's important how you memorize the words, if you use traditional rote memorization then no, I'd agree it won't do you any good. But there are other, more effetive ways to memorize things, that last longer and stick faster.  Regardless I think it's personal to your approach personality, learnign vocabulary, for say a half hour, and then having a conversation and/or watching a program is helping me a lot so far, I'm also no limited to OP's 1 hour time constraint though.

March 4, 2015

Well what level are you at now? Can you hold a basic conversation?

"I'm learning English, and I want to know approximately, how long I can to get fluent for Speak and for example underestand a movie spoken in English"

*understand*

Instead of "...how long I can to get fluent for Speak.." it should be "...how long until I can speak fluently..." or "...how long until I am fluent [in English]".

Try increasing your vocabulary first, with an hour a day you can easily learn 30 new words a day, in 90 days, that is 3000 words, which make up 80% of conversations in English, during and while start listening to english programs and you will understand it pretty quickly.

March 4, 2015

One year if you have a base of intermediate level

March 4, 2015

I forget to tell them, I practice an hour a day 

March 4, 2015