Michael
Japanese words that are avoided !

I have read and watched script and video tutorials about words that are avoided in the japanese language. The two words that Have ME confused are: watashi, and anata. If you never use these two words, wouldn't some of or sentence s be incomplete? and people wouldn't know who you're talking about. I understand that watashi,  and anata are omitted when it is already obvious who is being talked about. Is there another way to say anata when it's used in the middle of a sentence? Or do japanese people just use the person s name in the place of anata? What would be used in the place of watashi? 

Mar 5, 2015 3:54 PM
Comments · 2

Watashi and Anata are rarely used because they are formal ways of addressing yourself and others. For guys, Boku or Ore are more common than Watashi, and for girls it would be Atashi. When referring to the other person, Kimi, Anta and Omae are more common. There are subtle differences in each use. It all depends on who you are talking to. If you are talking to strangers, use the more polite Watashi and Anata, and if you are talking to acquaintances, friends or family you can use the other ones. I'm learning Japanese as well so I may be incorrect on some of these.

March 8, 2015

Yes, they do use the person's name (like Michaelさんは面白い質問を出しましたね) or a word referring to the person (お客さん、お姉さん). Sometimes instead of あなたの they add prefixes お/ご to the word (like ご意見). Also, there are verbs that show the direction of the action, like くださる(you give to me or smb else), あげる(I give to you or smb else), いただく, もらう(I get from you or smb else) etc.

自分 is often used instead of 私. 

And I hope somebody could give a better explanation.

March 6, 2015