farshid
A big lie about culture

I think most of governments say to their people that you have an  ancient, good and reach culture, but maybe they dont have an ancient, good and reach  culture as the same that government is telling.I dont know what is the reason of this lie.

Mar 5, 2015 8:00 PM
Comments · 2

farshid, of course, all people do have some ancient and rich culture) I'm not sure about good though.

Though there are some complications: Russia was peasant country. 90% were <em>enslaved</em> during 18 century (i.e. it were peasants gradually losing their rights, with the worst state an the end of 18th century), another 5% were free peasants.
Accordingly, what we call 'russian culture' mostly comes from 1% of aristocracy of the time and often has foreign european origins. What people call 'folk songs' was mostly composed in 19th century.

- Happily, during the same 19th century our edcuated people developed interest in Russian culture proper: so our classic poetry, literature and our language are rich with dialectal words, references some folclore etc. etc.
As to folclore... 1000 years isn't 'ancient', but some folk tales/songs collected at the time in villages referenced 1000 years old events.

-Unhappily, during 20th cantury the process was going in opposite direction. These classics where considered 'high' while the villages which once served as a source for them - 'low'. As result, we are proud with our culture... but apart from thiese classics, we don't even know it:)

March 5, 2015

Farshid,   it is probably a proverbialism that governments 

tell  their citizenry what they want for them to know and to think.

It may be our hope that citizens think for themselves; but even that will not be of good effect

if the citizenry  does not take action to be responsible for the care and well-being of their fellow citizens.

The genuine treasure,  in any   country, is the people generally.

March 5, 2015