Xuan Thu
When using Bristish English or American English

I just think about a question that your English(English in Canaha) is like Bristish English or American English or it's different. And is the difference between them is big? And when I go abroad(for example) which kind of English I should use

Mar 6, 2015 4:35 PM
Comments · 9

They are the same language, with only a small number of differences. The grammar is the same, nearly all the vocabulary is the same (around 95%), and even the words that are used in different regions are understood in each country. They are very similar, I don't understand why non-native speakers think they are so different. English is not like Arabic or other languages where different varieties are not intelligible between regions.

March 6, 2015

I assume you mean Canada, and not Canaha. I would say that Canadian English is closer to American English, although Canadian English tends to follow British spelling conventions(colour, realize, theatre, etc.). The differences between American English and British English are not huge, and you will be understood in the US, the UK, or Canada no matter which variety you speak. When I visited England I didn't change the way I spoke apart from a few minor vocabulary differences(the tube instead of the subway, chips instead of fries, etc.).

March 6, 2015

when you are going abroad and speak with non-english speaker you should use AmE
Much many english words (originally from England) people all around the world don't know at all or never use)

March 6, 2015

The difference between the English spoken in one part of the U.S. and another is greater than the difference between the English spoken on BBC World Service Newshour (British) and the English spoken on National Public Radio Morning Edition (U.S.)

The difference between U.S. and Canadian English is almost nil. Often I will be completely unaware that someone is Canadian until they happen to say the word <em>out</em>, which in some parts of Canada--not all--has a characteristic vowel sound that's just a <em>little</em> different from the U.S. pronunciation. It's not "oot," but it's shifted in the direction of "oot."

March 7, 2015

I realize I may be flogging a dead horse here, but I think it's worth re-emphasizing what the others have already pointed out above. Native English-speakers aren't conscious of the minor differences between British and American English. To us: English is English. 

March 7, 2015
Show more