Mumtaz
Community Tutor
Say Thank You!

I've been correcting notes for a few months now because I like to help others, and I'm not doing it because I'm expecting anything in return, but to pay it forward; I help Arabic learners, so they'll do the same to others who need their help in other languages if they can. Yet I feel so weird when I give a correction to someone and they don't say a simple "thank you"! This is happening a lot lately especially from new learners!

Sometimes we thank others with a sincere smile, but since we can only write on italki, a simple "thank you" will do! I thank those who correct for me ALWAYS because I appreciate their time and effort and I never take them for granted, honestly it's the least I could do to repay their kindness. 

There are learners here who thank those who correct for them; by writing that in the comments or by sending a private message, and others that I don't seem to understand; they simply take their corrections without any kind of gratitude! I really wonder if it's a cultural difference! Is it?

Italki members: say "THANK YOU"! It doesn't cost anything...

Mar 6, 2015 6:50 PM
Comments · 52

My sentiments exactly, Mumtaz.

When I help people here - or anywhere else for that matter - I don't expect anything in return. But I do wonder how some people can carry on month after month, accepting the help and advice, without a single word of acknowledgement. Are they such busy people that they can't spare a couple of seconds to type 'Thank you' ?

I don't think it is a cultural issue. There are regular members here who are unfailingly polite and grateful, and others from the exact same country who never acknowledge the help they receive. I won't name names for either group, but we all know who these people are.

There are regular teachers on this site who know and avoid the consistently 'ungrateful' members, and I can understand why they're unwilling to waste their time on someone who expects help but can't be bothered to acknowledge it. I do answer some questions that I know I'll never be thanked for, though. I do this simply because this is a public forum and I hope that there may be other members browsing the pages who might find my answer useful.

But yes, it is certainly a basic common courtesy to show gratitude to someone who's given up their time to help you. So, I second that: Please say "THANK YOU"! It doesn't cost anything...

March 6, 2015

hi Mumtaz, i really understand what you mean. the way it goes for me personally is: i don't care if people thank me or not (and quite honestly, most of the time, they do, actually and i do appreciate it) because i enjoy correcting the notebook entries i correct. in a way, i do it selfishly, for me, for my own fun, for my own pleasure and also for my own growth. i might have to check the spelling of a word, or a conjugation, and that is to my own benefit. i grow as a person, because i read something new, and i grow as a teacher because i gain experience.

also, the way i see it is: if the person does not thank, it is not my loss, but theirs. the ability to feel gratitude is not to be taken for granted and people who feel gratitude are often happier people (and they get more out of life), so your own happiness is your reward, and you don't need anyone else's word to have and feel it.

having said that, i respect your feeling entirely. but remember: what you give always comes back to you, if not directly and where you expected it from, from somewhere else, someone else and maybe in ten years time from now...the universe has its own way... ;)

March 6, 2015

It is disheartening to offer a correction or advice and not receive an acknowledgement that is was appreciated. Most of the time I don't notice, but when I do notice, it always seems to be the same people, but not necessarily from any particular nation or age group. I think it just comes down to the fact some people live by the motto of "me first and screw everyone else". These are often the people who also complain that nobody corrects their notes. 

March 6, 2015

First of all, Thanks to @Nilson who brought this topic again to the light! Then, A big Thank you to @Mumtaz who made people aware of this very important thing. I don't have to say anything as people above me have given their interesting and useful views.Thank you all:)

I just want to say that some people might be thinking that phrases like "Thank you", "I'm Sorry" and "Please" are not that important as these are some small and simple sentences but these small sentences have the potential to make a Big difference. A Thank you with a smiling face more precious than a million dollar. So we all are rich, let's not act like a poor :) 

February 24, 2017

I agree with what has already been said here. In addition, I would like to take this opportunity to thank those who don't say "thank you" -- I would like to thank them for saving my time so that I can help other people -- people who are truly interested in making progress.

March 31, 2015
Show more