mitchet3
Best apps for learning Cantonese?

I've had a go using iAnki and found it difficult to set up the cards - maybe I'm not doing it right?

Just found http://www.memrise.com/  and I really like it, there's different options and some 'courses' help with learning characters and also have Jyutping along with audio. Been using it only a few days and already I'm recognising characters more than before. Also if I'm using my phone I can practise writing the characters as part of the 'course'. 

I used Duolingo for Spanish but I don't think they have anything for Cantonese, I did find one that was very similar but was Mandarin but was quite good for recognising characters. 

These competitive apps make it rather addictive. 

There are so many other ones I was wondering what other people use? Also for dictionaries? I've downloaded a few free one's but they're not so user friendly. Any tips?

Mar 14, 2015 5:35 PM
Comments · 11

Cantonese Academy ,and Learn Cantonese Chinese. 

These two apps are very good.

March 29, 2015

You're right, Anki doesn't have the most user friendly site, but it's not so bad once you get the hang of it. If you'd like to give it a go, I'd be happy to help you get started. I personally think it's one of the most helpful apps out there. And it's fun!

I think cantoneseclass101.com is a really great resource. I've only used the website, but it seems they also have an app available. They have lessons for beginners to advanced learners. Each lesson is about 10 minutes long or so, starts with a short dialogue, introduces about 10 new words, and thoroughly explains each word and the main grammar point. While it could be better without the lame jokes and the long intro, it's still a pretty useful resource.

I haven't personally tried Study Chat, but some other people seem to like it.

Since you mentioned you've been learning the characters, you can give Skritter a try. They have traditional characters available, and they have a feature that adds the Cantonese pronunciation into the description. While definitely not perfect, you can edit each post to fit your needs.

March 15, 2015

The point of ANKI is that you get control over what you're learning. So if you learn 50 words a week, you know exactly those 50 words you learnt, and ANKI helps you remember these by showing you these flashcards on a frequent basis (hence "spaced" repetition). So you do have to do revision frequently (maybe 10 - 20 minutes every day), but it's the most effective way to remember things like vocab that would be a hassle otherwise via pure rote.

It does take some effort to set up, so you do have to manually add each card (there are many configurations, but I stick to the basics - just back and front), however, I do think it's worth the effort, because otherwise, there isn't a really organised way to look over what you learn.

As a rule of thumb, to make this more manageable, I only add cards once every two weeks. So during the two weeks, I might study vocabulary, grammar or read news articles and highlight new words. At the end of the two weeks, I put everything I learnt into ANKI (yes, one card at a time), and it'll be there for revision and learning in the future. 

Of course, the alternative is to find decks that other people have set up. Sometimes this works fine, but I never really enjoy it because it's not tailored to your learning strategy or style, so I prefer to customise my decks. 

March 15, 2015
Two awesome resources that haven't already been mentioned are Colloquial Cantonese and Glossika Cantonese. Colloquial Cantonese is great for beginners since it gives very clear and concise explanations of grammar as well as a lot of basic vocabulary. Glossika Cantonese is mainly for listening.
May 8, 2016

I've used both Memrise and Anki, but now I just stick with Anki. Mostly because you have more control over the spacing, i.e. reduce the spacing between cards, which I do when learning a lot of new vocabulary.  That said, Memrise seemed better for learning romanisation since it insists you type the correct tone, but I would say it is down to preference. 

When adding cards to Anki, use an excel spreadsheet to create your word lists since it is quite quick. Then, you can copy and paste into wordpad and save as an UTF-8 format which allows you to import into Anki.  

Lastly, the most important thing is to use only material you have read/listened to since it aids memory of the word. I tried using other lists, but it was out of context and thus I found it difficult to use.   

April 21, 2016
Show more