Ben
Learning Article : How to Greet People In English Without Sounding Weird

Discuss the Article : How to Greet People In English Without Sounding Weird

<a href='/article/396/how-to-greet-people-in-english-without-sounding-weird' target='_blank'>How to Greet People In English Without Sounding Weird</a>

Today, I'm going to teach you better ways to greet people in English. I'm going to teach you English greetings that are informal. You can use them with friends, family, acquaintances, and even people you don't know too well.

Mar 17, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 29

No need to be unkind! He said right away that you'll hear these in the UK and not elsewhere. Yes, these are very British ways of greeting people-- perhaps people are trying to learn British English, in which case this will be great. I agree that if you asked an American "What's the craic" you'd be greeted with a blank stare; so, potential American English Speakers, keep that in mind: Don't ask an American "What's the craic," and you'll be fine. So what are some American ways of greeting people? I'll offer some, and I bet they're intensely regional, so no doubt somebody will make fun of them. I'm from Texas. Here, we say:

"How are you?" and often we slur it, so it sounds like "Hah'r'you?"
We actually do say "Howdy," but it's again kind of slurred: "Hahdy." You say this in passing, when you pass a person on the street. And do be sure to look people in the eye, smile and say Howdy when you pass them on the street in Texas, by the way, except in the biggest of big city situations.

If there are multiple people, we will say, "How are y'all?" (Y'all being the missing second-person-plural in English. I expect English speakers from everywhere will rebel against my using it, but if you're in the Southern U.S., expect to hear it). It sounds like "How'ryall?"

And the most common is "How's it going?" or "How're you doing?" to which the answer is generally "Good," not-- even in America-- "awesome." And in America, it's not considered an invitation to discuss how you actually feel-- that's for friends. In America, you say, "Fine, thanks," and if you say "Awesome!!" people will be a bit startled, except maybe in Arizona, I can't speak to them. Definitely do not say "Shitty" unless you know your audience. Hope this helps!

March 17, 2015

Thanks for the article but for older readers please don't use some of the more "slangy" terms like How's it hanging?  You will sound and look ridiculous saying that to a middle-aged person.  That is definitely teenager, perhaps University student language.

I am in Australia and "How's it going" - "Fine, and you?" or "Not bad and you?" will get you everywhere and sounding like a local.

Friends will usually add "mate" on to the end, especially in social situations but not in formal situations.

March 19, 2015

Am I the only person that would just skip what he wrote (with rare exceptions) whenever I would read a discussion? 

March 17, 2015

I agree with the previous comments about “What's the craic?” And "awesome". All in all a good article though. Far too few English learners know how to naturally use "what's up" and "how's it going" (a more natural response in my opinion by the way would be "it's going alright, you?").

One thing that I think should be pointed out though is that "how's it hanging" is even more informal than "what's up" since, whether people realize it or not, it's actually asking about how the other guy's "male" parts, to put it euphemistically, are hanging. If someone ever asks you this, a funny response would be "a little to the left/right".

March 17, 2015

Always interesting to read what one English culture thinks of another, but I hope italki students will remember that Britain and the US are both diverse countries.

Some of the suggested phrases in this article are not going to work well because of regional, age and class differences. 

If you're visiting either country for the first time, be prepared to use "How are you?" + "I'm good, thanks. You?" 

Be clear and polite. Simple as that. 

March 31, 2015
Show more