Caroline L-B
Community Tutor
Learning Article : Numbers In French

Discuss the Article : Numbers In French

<a href='/article/408/numbers-in-french' target='_blank'>Numbers In French</a>

Crash course: Numbers in French from 0 to 1,000,000. How to tell the time, to read a phone number and how to say difficult dates like ("in 1999"). Who's up for it?

Mar 20, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 7

About "19 cent ..."

I don't know for other schools, but when I was in primary school, we were told we could use both "mille neuf cent ..." and "19 cent" as they are both correct. Some students would use the "19 cent" way for fun as it does sound a bit old. But everyone understands it. It also depends on the people you're with, for instance people reading literature at university might use "19 cent" a bit more as that's what is more common in books...

But, we still use it for specific dates, for example, I would use it naturally for 1515: "quinze cent quinze" rather than "mille cinq cent quinze" as it is much quicker to prounounce. I guess I would use it for the 12th and 16th centuries, and sometimes for the 15th, 18th and 19th centuries (out of habit, I probably studied those with an older teacher...).

April 19, 2015

I've had an answer from the italki team. It goes like this: "Regarding your image, we have a certain policy regarding suitable cover images. We feel that your particular submitted image does not conform to our guideline's standards, so per agreement, we reserve the rights to modify this. Generally speaking, we give more freedom to internal images (within the piece), which is why we included your images inside. Hopefully this clarifies things on your end."

Any comments anyone? Personally, I find this answer complete rubbish, as it doesn't tell me what was wrong and did not offer me a possibility to fix it.

This is just one more reasons why I've been so frustrated with the editing process recently. Another hing: it took italki 6 weeks to "edit and publish" this article. In the meantime, I've written 3 more articles, and completely revamped 2 of my earlier articles, but I won't submit them because dealing with this is making me angry, and I like to have fun. Teaching is fun, writing is fun. Sharing is fun. It's just a shame that there is something that has to get in between. So this is goodbye for now. I'm currently talking to a branch of Geddes and Grosset to have my articles compiled into a real book so it might happen, but it might take time, I've only written half of what I intend to cover. So, thanks to all the "fans" of my article. Your feedback goes a long way! Cheerio!

March 23, 2015

Merci

May 22, 2015

Cet article est utile pour les débutants!

April 10, 2015

When I took French in high school, the year was "dix-neuf cent..." rather than "mille neuf cent..." Is that a local aberration? It certainly wasn't 200 years ago (although it sometime feels like it :) !

Great article! Thanks for the details!

March 22, 2015
Show more