ademerdi
What do you think about Turkey and its people? please be honest.
Mar 22, 2015 8:15 PM
Comments · 21

There are many Tukish people where I live.  I worked in a small restaurant under Turkish ownership for almost a year.  I can say both good and bad.  I will say, that as a majority Muslim country in Europe, I believe Turkey has a certain responsibility to be a "bridge" between two worlds that do not seem to get along most of the time.

I will agree with the hospitable comment everyone is saying.  I have become very good friends with a couple (the wife is American and her husband is Turkish).  I am happy to eat chesnuts, drink Turkish tea, and talk about religion and culture.  One of my favorite things is that in spite of us being so different, I never have a hard time having a good and honest conversation with someone from Turkiye.  Another thing I love is the language!  I fell in love with the language, and my friends love to see me (try) and speak.

The bad I will say is the bad that exists everywhere.  I have met very few women, and a lot of men from Turkey.  I do get a sense that, as a woman, I am not quite on the same level as them.  I could be misinterpreting the situations, but I have also experienced that several of the men I meet do not seem to give women the respect they deserve.  That, however, is a universal trait!  It does not undo the many wonderful Turkish men and women I have come to call my friends.

March 24, 2015

Being completely honest, in 10th Grade I began learning Turkish in school. The more I learned about the country, the more I fell in love with every piece of it except the people. The only contact I have had with Turkish people were my teachers at the school (5 Turkish Teachers) and people at this resturant I frequent. Only the women were kind. The men were very sexist and rude. Example: I joined the robotics class at my school that was taught by a Turkish man. I was the fastest builder and programmer and I followed all instructions to the t. He wouldn't let me join the robotics team because I was female. In any classes taught by a male, they looked down on every female student. I have met many beautiful and amazing Turkish women though. I do want to visit the country because it looks gorgeous.

April 24, 2015

I've been to Istanbul once, it's a very beautiful city,people there are very relaxed, I remember seeing picnic everywhere;) people I met are mostly very friendly(strangers would come up to have a little chitchat with you on the street) , polite and sweet. although I also have encountered a few unwanted attention ( guess Asian looking is kinda rare there) , it didnt bother me much. I had a great time there!

April 25, 2015

Here in Brazil people call arabs  or brazilian from arabic origin of "Turkish" because people think that arabian, Persian (iranian) and turkish are the same ethnic group. Here people think you from middle east are good in business and stingy- don't like spend money.

People know about Turkey - the land of Saint George- Capadocia. the capital is Istanbul between Asia and Europe, Otoman Empirer and Mont Ararat, The blue eyes pin up at houses to protect against jealous. 

Here was transmitted a soup opera that talked about differences custom between Brazilians and turkish, and the culture coflict. people here know a little about turkey and many brazilians are traveling to discovery your country.

March 25, 2015

Beautiful,nice country and kind,polite people:)

March 24, 2015
Show more