Ilaria
Languages teaching in your countries

Hi guys! How is languages teaching in your country? I mean in ordinary schools. Are listening and speaking important? Or is teaching more concentrated on grammar rules?

Mar 23, 2015 6:29 AM
Comments · 16

If the teachers learned through the same methods as they now utilise in the classroom how could they think outside the box ?!

March 25, 2015

In Poland teaching is on the very low level. How did you say earlier also Polish teacher almost a grammar and vocabulary. A lot of students in high school are afraid of speak basic sentence. I saw this phenomenon exactly in my school, because earlier I was the same students. Fortunately I change myself and my way to learn English. For me the most important thing is immersion. When I hear and speak in foreign language I gain impossible power of confidence. And I can remind myself many words with time. I think that scale of this problem is enormous. I can say about myself that I was a little bit of stupid when I was passing high-school certificate. My weak knowledge was enough to gain 60% of writing test and 80% of speaking test. 

My results was good, thanks for teacher who I have latest. She gave some pressure for pronuncation and hearing.

March 23, 2015

Grammar  is  important

formation  of  sentences  is  always  comes  through  grammar

March 25, 2015

I studied English for eleven years in school and the result was surprisingly good. I could translate some texts and speak on a primitive level. Although, when it comes to real fluency and speaking skill there is no option other than a special language school where you pay money for education. I guess it's the same everywhere. What I still don't understand is why we still have not converted our classes in school into real studying of a foreign language. Radical modernization is essential. We study so many years, spend so many hours in a classroom, without tangible result. Way too many teachers don't speak English here.

March 23, 2015

In public schools here in Greece, it depends on the teacher. The school system offers language courses but undervalues them and often uses the study hour to support other courses. Students who only learn a language at school will most probably acquire 15 words total.

Private language schools offer better quality but they are expensive and too exam oriented.  Students may learn a lot of grammar and vocabulary at a good level but they usually can't speak the language or read a book written after 'pride and prejudice'.

March 23, 2015
Show more