Cindy Lucas
What is the difference between Wa vs. Ga

I know that both wa and ga are topic/subject markers, but what is the difference? I think I understand how, when and why to us wa, but I'm not sure of how, when or why to use ga. 

Thanks

Mar 24, 2015 2:56 AM
Comments · 3

If a subject is a part of a predicate, you could say "wa".

For example, "watashi wa nihon-jin desu" means that you are just one of Japanese people.

On the other hand, if a subject monopolizes a predicate, you could say "wa".

For example, "watashi ga nihon-jin desu" means that you are the only Japanese person who are there.

March 24, 2015

So firstly, は was several functions, in fact, beyond just indicating a subject, that が could simply never do.  If you're curious, the japanese wiktionary lists several of these uses of "wa" with several example sentences:  (http://ja.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E3%81%AF#.E5.8A.A9.E8.A9.9E)

But in the case of indicating a subject, "wa" indicates not the subject of a verb, but the subject of a thought, which allows you to infer and omit other words.  In Japanese, it's very common to simply leave grammatic constructs out of a sentence because they are inferrable, especially when using "wa".

However, "ga" really only serves one purposes at all.  It indicates the subject of the following verb.  It's especially necessary when you cannot infer the subject of a verb, when you must be specific.

To understand this distinction, imagine that "X wa" translates as "as for X,", and "X ga" translates just as "X does (or is, or whatever)".

わたしはさかなです.  

As for me, [my order] is the fish.  

Notice that "wa" isn't making "わたし" the subject of the verb "です".  It's telling us that わたし is the person of interest.  We happen to omit the subject of the verb "です" because in the situation of ordering food, that should be obvious.

On the other hand,

わたしがさかなです.

I am a fish.

"ga" clearly states that わたし is, in fact, the subject of the verb です here, and what you です, is a fish :P

Just give it time and enough exposure, and it'll be second nature without an explanation.  We all learn through enough exposure.

March 24, 2015

I think wa is more posessive.

March 24, 2015