Rubén
US cities to learn English

Hi everibody!! In your opinion what are the best cities to learn english for spanish speaker? Are there some areas with strange acents? I would like to go to USA improve my english 

Mar 26, 2015 12:48 PM
Comments · 11

Despite the disproportionate amount of media attention that the Westboro Baptist Church gets, it is not a powerful organization and only has about 40 members, most of whom are extended family members of the now-deceased leader. They get a lot of press because they're outrageous, but they certainly don't enjoy popular support. They get attention because they're ridiculous. Don't let the WBC scare you away from Kansas. That said, you might want someplace more diverse than Kansas.

March 26, 2015

I am from the US, and I would say that the areas that would be easiest are areas that don't have harsh accents. The area called the midwest is considered to have the least amount of accents.

Some major cities in this region would include: Chicago, Kansas City, Wichita (where I live), St. Louis, etc... there are actually quite a few. Here is a bigger list, in order by population: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Midwestern_cities_by_size   ; I know that someone else mentioned Minneapolis, in the state of Minnesota, but they are actually considered to have a very distinct accent there, so I would not recommend it.

The northwest region, with the states of California, Oregon and Washington would also be good areas. The climate is nice and they aren't considered to have strange accents. However, in California, there are many Spanish speakers, so if you think this would make you lazy to learn English, you may want to avoid that one.

Good luck!

March 26, 2015

I think Chicago or LA would be good options.  Both Chicago and LA do have large Hispanic communities, but as long as you don't get lazy, you could definitely avoid them and practice English.  I can't tell you much about LA, because I don't live there, but in Chicago you could try to live in the suburbs, because the suburbs mostly don't have large Hispanic communities.  And, if you pick a suburb along one of the train lines, you could still have a job in the city and commute.

And like Susan and Mike, I think you shouldn't judge all of Kansas based on the Westboro Baptist Church.  It's not large or powerful, and even if it were, Kansas is not a small state!  But many people in Kansas will have Southern accents, so if you don't want a Southern accent then maybe Kansas is not the best option.  (Also - I think Carreen was recommending Kansas City, Missouri - not Kansas.)

One last piece of advice, and a warning: There are some people in the US, mostly in the south, who think all Spanish-speakers are illegal immigrants.  These people are very mean and I'm ashamed to share a country with them.  But because they do exist, I recommend you focus your search on big cities and their surrounding areas.  In most big cities, it's easy to find Spanish-speakers, and so most people in and around big cities are used to meeting Spanish-speakers and aren't so quick to judge.

March 26, 2015

Minneapolis is a bad suggestion... unless you like really cold weather in the winter. I've only been briefly a couple times there, but aside from the mall of America (which is pretty boring after about 20 minutes), there's not much that you hear about it for or that seems that interesting. Besides, if you don't mind the cold I would still recommend Chicago or Seatle over it. I would recommend cities like Denver, Austin, and Nashville, which are underrated in my opinion. Cities like New York City and San Francisco are nice, but really expensive. I've heard good things about cities like Portland (known for having tons of microbreweries) and Charlotte but I've never been to these cities so I can't tell you for sure. Same thing I suppose for Boston and Philadelphia.

The cities in the northeast and the countryside in the southeast are the areas with the strongest regional accents. In terms of Spanish and wanting to practice your English, as long as you're more than an hour or two away from the Mexican border and you make an effort to hang out with people that don't speak spanish then it shouldn't be an issue.

March 26, 2015

Denver is also a really good option as someone mentioned. It's a nice city, with no accents to speak of.

The thing to remember about the US, is that when it comes to climate, it is really diverse. If it were me, I'd probably decide what kind of climate I'd like to live in and then start looking at cities that fit that qualification.

I absolutely adore Chicago, and have visited many times, but I know I couldn't live there because of the winters.

March 27, 2015
Show more