Dave
Here's a reason I like to use video for conversations in a new language

I understand that there are valid reasons why some people don't like video and prefer audio only.  Personally I find that I understand the words much quicker, I learn better & it turns out there may be a good reason.  Our brains do a lot of the work that we think our ears are doing. 

This video says it all. It's really amazing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FefFfvriAwQ

Mar 27, 2015 1:55 AM
Comments · 6

I saw that on a Netflix show called Brain Games. Very interesting stuff. 

It made me think about watching programs that are dubbed into Spanish. In English I always watch people's lips, but when there's dubbing I can't stand watching the lips of the actors. I watch the subtitles only and see the action only with my peripheral vision. Interestingly, all cartoons work the same when made into other languages so I can watch the action directly as it's not confusing as the lips never match up in cartoons no matter what language is used. 

March 27, 2015

Cool video. But I don't understand why you wouldn't use both methods. You said it yourself - there are advantages to both of them. Do you drill flashcards in only one direction too? 

March 27, 2015

I prefer video but I will switch to audio if it helps with internet speed. Better signal, easier file transfer.

What's the use of looking at the teacher if you can't hear them clearly or receive material?

March 27, 2015

I do use both methods as there are often users who don't want to use video.  I prefer video. 

March 27, 2015

Do you want to learn spanish? I would like to practice my english.

March 27, 2015
Show more