Kristian
Learning Article : Stress Points: Increase Your English Vocabulary

Discuss the Article : Stress Points: Increase Your English Vocabulary

<a href='/article/413/stress-points-increase-your-english-vocabulary' target='_blank'>Stress Points: Increase Your English Vocabulary</a>

There are many words in the English language that have two, three or even five meanings, depending on where you put the stress on the word. Learning these stress points will literally enable you to add two or three words to your vocabulary by learning just one word!

Mar 27, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 12

Thanks for this article! We were actually discussing desert/desert (ie. as in the sandy place, and to abandon something) last night during class. It's great to see a longer list.

If anyone else is struggling with the phonetic script, remember that the apostrophe (') sits at the beginning of the stressed syllable, ie. address = /drɛs/ and address = /ə'drɛs/

(Back to the kitchen now... I don't want to desert my dessert!)

March 27, 2015

Why didn't you use Caps to stress all through your text? I lost interest trying to guess phonetics.

March 27, 2015

In response to Elina's comment, you don't really have to remember where the stress goes. Usually, if it's a noun, it's the first syllable. If it's a verb, stress goes on the second syllable. I believe this holds true for all of your noun/verb examples. 

May 8, 2015

English pronunciation is a nightmare for speakers of other languages!

April 10, 2015

I thought this was fascinating! Thanks!

April 7, 2015
Show more