Qiuxia
KFC for lunch

Today I have KFC for lunch in company. The director saw it and ask me if I have bought the fried. The fried? I don't understand "fried" so I can not answer him and just be silent, It make me feel so awkward. So I look it up in a dictionary, it turns out I only know the word "chips". Does "fried" have the same meaning with "chips" or it should be " fried". I am confused. Can you guys tell me?

Mar 27, 2015 6:43 AM
Comments · 5

KFC = Kentucky Fried Chicken. So he might have been joking, because even though there are several kinds of chicken, many people think they are all fried ("the fried" = "the fried chicken"). In reality, KFC offers grilled chicken too, so he might have honestly wanted to know whether you got the grilled or the fried.

If your director already makes you feel awkward, you might as well date him. Couldn't get any worse.

March 27, 2015

I don't like KFC

March 27, 2015

Did you get the grilled or the fried?

March 27, 2015

Maybe it's fries he said, I heard it wrong, haha

my English is not so good. Thank you guys, you are all very nice.  :)

March 27, 2015

I think he just condensed <em>Kentucky Fried Chicken</em> to <em>the Fried</em>. It's not how I'd normally say it, but that's how I understand it. Don't feel awkward about not being able to answer.

The meaning of "chips" is <em>fries</em> (sometimes <em>frites</em>, if we just use the French word).

March 27, 2015