Salih
'Present perfect tense' is used a lot during a conversation?

Some teacher say 'Present perfect tense' unnecessary tense, Is it right? and it is instead we usually use 'Past tense'.. What do you think?

Mar 27, 2015 1:32 PM
Comments · 15

I think that you should get another teacher.

Watch TV in English. Watch some movies. You'll hear English speakers using the present perfect all the time in conversation, and you'll see that your teacher is wrong.

March 27, 2015

I found myself agreeing with Peachey. The perfect tenses (simple and progressive) are taught much later in most courses, at the end of elementary, and for most students this is in their second year of studying English. 

It's possible that your teacher meant that you shouldn't worry about the perfect tenses right now, and that working on the simple and continuous tenses would be more useful. I do agree that it's possible to communicate in English without ever using a perfect tense, if you only need English for travelling for example. If your goal is to become an advanced user of English then you will need to study the perfect tenses. 

March 27, 2015

Ivanovich, both "what have you been doing" and "what have you done" are present perfect tenses. The first is progressive, the second is simple.

In response to your question, Salih, you should know that as far as teaching English is concerned, present perfect is introduced at the end of <em>elementary level</em>. In reality, we do use this tense a lot (don't forget past perfect and future perfect), and ignoring it just limits your English.

And yes, as native speakers, we notice.

March 27, 2015

No, the present perfect tense is used quite frequently.

How have you been?

What have you been doing since I last saw you?

Have you ever been here before? Have you seen that movie yet?

Here's some information about how the present perfect is used compared to the simple past: http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/elc/studyzone/410/grammar/ppvpast.htm

March 27, 2015

Ivanovich, Susan612 is not wrong. 

'How have you been?'

and

'What have you been doing?'

are <em>both</em> examples of the present perfect. The first is an example of the present perfect simple and the second is an example of the present perfect progressive/ present perfect continuous.

March 27, 2015
Show more