Meg
Should smoking be allowed in public places?

What do you think? Is it a right or disrespectful to others? What is common in your countries? 

Mar 29, 2015 1:36 AM
Comments · 23

In the US, smoking laws are decided by state and town.  So, some states might not have any smoking bans, while in some towns smoking is banned everywhere except private homes.  In my state, Illinois, smoking is banned inside public buildings and 15 feet from doors, air intakes, and operable windows, but most people ignore the 15 feet rule.  I'm very grateful that we have at least the law we do, and I wish we had stricter laws, because I'm allergic to tobacco smoke, so I can't be around smokers and also stay alive.  So, I absolutely do not think smoking should be considered a right, because saying that smoking is a right is the same as saying that I don't have the right to live.  In general, my position toward drugs (and nicotine, the active ingredient in tobacco, is a drug) is that I don't care if you want to do them, but I do care if you want to light them on fire and force other people to breathe the smoke.

March 29, 2015

In Australia it's illegal to smoke in enclosed public places, as within 4m of the entrance to any public building, or at any place where food may be eaten. You can also find many public parks and squares with signs indicating it's illegal to smoke within that area. Outside these areas, people are generally free to smoke, but there are further laws depending on the state: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans_in_Australia

March 29, 2015

it is common in my country. I think for sure that it can not be allowed. The air is worse and worse. Our health gets worse and worse.  The air is ours,not some paticular one's. forbbiding smoking should be put into law.  if you are addicted to smoking, you can find a relatively personal place or some smoking-room where you don't affect others. Of course, education is so important that the government should pay much more attention to the people's education. As long as the people realize it, the earth we are living in    is to become more beautiful and more suitable for habitation. 

March 29, 2015

I really like smoking. It is cool:) I do it for relaxation.

Also I ike doing exersices in the gym.

If you ask me what I don't like I will say "I don't like smoking in the gym".

December 20, 2015

I don't mind people smoking in public places as long as I'm not forced to inhale smoke. But I find disrespectful when someone smokes on the bus stop or is walking with cigarette and all the smoke is going at people behind him. 

In Poland is forbidden to smoke in the public places, but people still do it. 

December 18, 2015
Show more