Learner SC
Level of difficulty: native chinese -> english

It is said that for native english spekers, learning chinese is one the hardest languages.

Is the converse true? Is English one of the hardest languages to learn for a native chinese speaker?

Mar 30, 2015 8:03 AM
Comments · 6

Difficulties

April 15, 2015

English is easy to learn  for Chinese,  because it is a phonetically based language.

Of course,  English or any language can be poorly taught.  For esample,  teachers can be boring,  uninspired,   poorly informed,   absorbed with petty details, and generally  not very  capable to offer good guidance to a student.  There can be teachers who lack intuitive knowledge,  lack understanding, lack a broad knowledge of life in general, and can do little more than  teach to the student the confusion which occupies  their own mind.

Case in point:   Yesterday I saw a teacher on Italki tell a student that they could not learn  English  in the same way that  a  Baby learns its native language.  Of course,  an adult learns a language in exactly   the same way that any adult learns the language.

(a) They hear the language  (b) They memorize the language  (c) They repeat the language they hear.

So,  with so many confused ideas being   published abroad, the experience  of learning a language can be either difficult or easy,  depending upon how it is studied and understood as an activity.

April 14, 2015

It is said that for native english spekers, learning chinese is one the hardest languages. --- I think so.

Is English one of the hardest languages to learn for a native chinese speaker?

If a native chinese speaker learns German or French, he will find that English is very easy...... BUT, if we only talk about English, yes, it's very hard for a native chinese speaker. I think it's as hard as a native english speaker learning chinese.

April 14, 2015

Maybe it is a digression, too.

One creates new words/ phrases sometimes when he/ she has mastered the language.

However, it always seems awkward for one to use words/ phrases in a different way when he/ she is not a native speaker.

I do think English is very difficult to learn because, usually, it is the very sentence I make with efforts that is strange to native speakers of English. 

Do you agree?

April 8, 2015

Thanks but it doesn't answer my question.

There are numerous references on the internet of how hard it is to learn chinese (for a native english speaker). Other languages can be easier.

http://www.effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty

March 30, 2015
Show more