Wendy
What is the difference between English and Chinese?

Although I have learned english for more than ten years,I still find it difficult when I do the interpreting.Here are some conclusions and I hope that more English friends here give some tips.Thank you!

Generally speaking,firstly,there is difference in syntax:noun-dominated&verb-dominated;Secondly,the difference is in diction:simple&complex;Thirdly,the difference is that English pays attention to hypo taxis while Chinese focuses on parataxis;Besides,Sentence in Chinese seems to be loose in structure, and not fit for the English readers' expectation. Concerning this kind of difference between Chinese and English, Pinkham ever said: “Chinese usually adopts juxtaposed sentence without any connective tags. The meaning between different clauses is easy to understand for Chinese readers, butwhen translated into English, the translation turns out to be clumsy, unclear, and difficult to comprehend for English readers."

From my perspective,I think biggest difference is that English language is more logic,tight while Chinese is more sensitive and loose.And the subject in English is very clear while the one in Chinese is not.And that is why I feel extremely tired everytime I translate something into another language.

No matter whether I am right or wrong,I just hope to inspire those who are learning Chinese and english.Meanwhile,I also long for English friends' advice and help for my further interpreting.Thank you again!

Mar 31, 2015 12:08 PM