Tracy
Question About Greeting!

In English, we have "good moring/afternoon/evening/night", accroding to the time. However, I am wondering how to greet people at around 9pm to 4am(the other day). Obviously, it's not appropriate to say "good morning" or "good afternoon". "Good evening" is supposed to be said at dusk. And "Good night" is often said when leaving and before bed. So, I got a problem with how to greet people at the time. Can anybody make some suggestions?

Thank you! ^.^

Mar 31, 2015 12:57 PM
Comments · 5

'Good evening' isn't just for dusk. You can use it at any point during an evening activity, even if this stretches into the early hours of the morning. 

As you point out, 'Good night' is not a greeting. It's a farewell. You say this when you or other people are leavingll

March 31, 2015

Well, normally people aren't awake at those times to greet each other! :)  So we'd just say "hello", or probably "good evening".

Interestingly, we Australians use "G'day" even at night. It's a general greeting and not technically "good day" anymore.

April 4, 2015

Thank you all for the answers. 

@Peachey Some people's sleeping pattern is bad, like me. I'm still awake at 1am, sleepless and want to talk. Haha, I know it's weird. Somehow, now I'm interested in how people greet each other in different cultures.

April 4, 2015

Hey...

March 31, 2015

Good question, I never think about this situation ... Waiting for the answer too !! 

March 31, 2015