Symantha
Learning English the FUN way :)

So often, I have heard non-English speakers say how difficult it is to learn new languages. While this is partly true, it makes me wonder if it is difficult because of our approach.

Maybe, if we change our approach and make it fun, talking and writing about something we love, it will become easier :). This is my opinion and I believe it works! What are your thoughts?

Mar 31, 2015 9:00 PM
Comments · 11

I think learn a new language is difficult at first but then and with a lot of practice and patience it becomes easier. As everything in the life it requires effort. On te other hand, you're right, we can learn easier if we find out something fun or relaxing in english.

What do you do to study english?

March 31, 2015

I'm studying Linguistics as my major, and from what i have learnt, in regards to TESOL teaching is that there are so many methods for teaching, based on different goals. I think most language learning is problematic when we have to 'test' the student. Because once you have to 'test' someone, usually it means cramming for an exam, which means = learn to pass, not communicate. It's like the IQ test, anyone can study and get a higher IQ, does that mean i'm smarter?

I can't say however, whether there is a more effective way of teaching any language. I think firstly, the teacher should be seen as a friend, not a commander (but a facilitator of the learning process), because if your friendly with your students, they may feel less nervous about making mistakes, encourage them to make mistakes. I believe it is all about the environment too, if you have a classroom full of movie posters, music, locations and scenery in places where English is spoken natively, students can see what exists beyond the classroom and that learning English or any language has a purpose. All the japanese classrooms at my university have pictures of sakura's, mountains and japanese educational posters. 

Sorry I rambled a little bit, I used to think it was all about exposure, but now that i'm studying linguistics, i think every sinle person learns differently, which is problematic, since we have to pick a blanket approach unless its one on one or a  langauge course with specific purpose. 

April 2, 2015

Thank you for taking time to read and comment folks, I appreciate it :)

I like your points too :).

Smellada, don't be shy dear...there are nice folks with whom you may speak and share with, whom I'm sure will help to ensure your comfort level is balanced. Allow yourself time and just be normal...it will flow naturally, in time.

Sna27 and Alexandra, your points are similar :). Yes, it is definitely easier when we are discussing about something of interest, it helps alot!

Salinda, that can be quite discouraging, when there is limited opportunities for practicing English in your hometown and such. Don't be discouraged though, being here is one such way you may create your own "community" of online practicing opportunity :). Just allow yourself to read, speak and share with anyone you feel comfortable with. Be confident, no one starts out at the top of the ladder, just take it a step at a time and you will grow.

Alberto, I suggest the same to you as I have suggested to Salinda (above), because you both share similar concerns as it relates to limitations to learning English.

Don't give up, just keep moving :)

April 1, 2015

If you know nothing of the language you want to study, it's difficult to start. It's also difficult to study if you don't have time and there are not native speaker in your city.

April 1, 2015

My first language is Chinese, for me, it's very difficult to learn English, because  there is no available atmosphere speaking English around me, what I can do are watching English movies,listening English news with captions

April 1, 2015
Show more