Lewella
Professional Teacher
TO ASK OR NOT TO ASK. THAT IS THE QUESTION.

There are some things that are <em>not</em> polite to ask about when you are talking with an American; especially if you don't know the person well:

<em>Money</em>, as in "How much money do you make at your job?" This is personal information.

<em>Religion</em>, as in "What is your religion?"  Chance of an argument: 50%

<em>Politics</em>, as in "What is your political party?"  Chance of an argument: 99%

<em>Age</em>, as in "How old are you?"  

Never ask a man that question.

Never, never, never ask a woman that question.

You can <em>always</em> ask about  the weather.

What are some questions that you can or cannot ask in your country?

Mar 31, 2015 11:21 PM
Comments · 4

You forgot the question about their amorous situation. Most people that heard that kind of question will think that you are flirting.

I think the age question is very simiilar around here, specially if you don't have enough confidence with the woman. 

April 1, 2015

Moreover,   in the spirit of truth and revelation,  I can tell you the following.

(a) I am 68 years old

(b) My annual family income is about $48,000.00 per year.

(c) My religion is Christianity.

I will answer any question  by any language partner  at any time in a clear and direct manner, sparing the language partner any discomfort or any feeling of having asked an inappropriate question.

What's up with this idea about "never" asking questions?

March 31, 2015

Moreover,  I may be  as a language partner,  very discreet about the subjects I discuss with my students,  but that places the burden of responsibility upon   me as a native speaker of English, rather than placing a burden of fear upon my foreign  language partner.

It is counterproductive to place a   social prohibition   in the context of a  "never"  rule.

If Americans   are that sensitive to answering questions about the truth in any context,  perhaps

they  should evaluate their priorities.

March 31, 2015

That is rather an extreme view, and I know of no such social prohibitions.

My  language partners to entirely welcome to ask me any question about any subject.

I am entirely in control of my own dialogues and may address a question  in any way I deem appropriate; but I never burden   my students  with any sort of fear about violating some social convention for giving offense.  There are few if any things that any student could say to me that I would regard as an offense.

Americans,  as   language partners tutoring or teaching the English Language,  ought to show themselves    capablable of addressing any and all  questions in an appropriate manner.

If any American is fragile or overly sensitive in their personality or demeanor,  they may need to find  a more appropriate activity.  Having emotional reactions   about any inquiry  is an extreme response.  After all,   all one need to do avoid offense by any student of the language is to just hang up the phone call and discontinue all correspondence.  It does not require a Doctoral Degree in Rocket Surgery to figure this out.

March 31, 2015