Finn
Professional Teacher
How often do you revise what you learn in language classes?

So, I'm an English teacher and encourage my students to revise as often as they can, but they are usually restricted in the amount of time they can dedicate to learning languages. I try to have a revision/refresher lesson after a few months and sometimes I am very surprised at things they remember very well! On the other hand, it can be frustrating when they keep making the same mistakes. I have found spaced repitition websites useful for this, to keep practicing mistakes that I know that I make in the languages I am learning...

What do you think?

Mar 31, 2015 11:36 PM
Comments · 4

FYI, Finn, to avoid confusion, you may need to gloss your terms 'revise' and 'revision' for the benefit of learners and speakers of US English.

In US English, 'revise' and 'revision' are only used in the sense of 'make revisions to' - i.e. to amend and update. US English speakers would use 'review', rather than 'revision',  to explain the idea of a refresher lesson.

And to answer your question - as often as possible. Revise, review, recycle, reinforce. It's the only way to learn.

April 1, 2015

I think that's my main problem, I almost never revise! So it's my fault when I don't seem to improve.

April 1, 2015

revising in a very short time after lessons makes people understand smoothly what they learnt.But, few people follow as it is and they develope things well. If It is not used regulary things your are learnig you must have rivise  to grab. It is good to memerise the previous lesson before going to next one.

April 1, 2015

Great answers everyone, thanks! Good point Su.Ki, however, I speak and write in British English and was not aware of this difference; every day I encounter new nuances between American and British variations of the same language! Useful to know, so I appreciate your clarification. Also, on an interesting aside, it seems as though the etymological root was via French/Latin =]

"Mid 16th century (in the sense 'look again or repeatedly (at)'): from French réviser 'look at', or Latin revisere 'look at again', from re- 'again' + visere (intensive form of videre 'to see')."

(http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/revise)

April 5, 2015