DinaTeacher
Learning Article : Commonly Used Idioms With Body Parts In English

Discuss the Article : Commonly Used Idioms With Body Parts In English

<a href='/article/418/commonly-used-idioms-with-body-parts-in-english' target='_blank'>Commonly Used Idioms With Body Parts In English</a>

Idioms are important cultural elements of all languages, and they also make our speech more colourful. It's fun to study idioms; however, it is true that they can cause some misinterpretation because translating them word by word will not make much sense in your language.

Apr 1, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 4

A really nice article :)

April 5, 2015

I liked the article, Thanks (:

I listen to "english we speak"  very useful podcast.

Also you can learn a lot of idioms from TV shows and talks.

May 3, 2015

Awesome article.

Some of these expressions are quite similar to Portuguese (at least pt-br ^^)

-Skin and bones - Pele e osso (Esse cara é só pele e osso)

-To keep an eye on - Ficar de olho (Você pode ficar de olho na panela para mim?)

-To cost an arm and a leg - Custar o olho da cara (Esta camisa me custou o olho da cara)

-To give a hand - Dar uma mão (Você pode me dar uma mão?)

-Behind someone's back - Pelas costas / Por trás (Ele estava agindo pelas minhas costas)

Here goes some of other body parts idioms that I konw:

• The rule of thumb: A general or approximate principle, procedure, or rule based on experience or practice, as opposed to a specific, scientific calculation or estimate. (The rule of thumb is the higher the value, the darker the color)

• My hands are tied: The person can't help you (I'm sorry. There's nothing I can do. My hands are tied)

• Give someone the cold shoulder: To behave towards someone in a way that is not at all friendly, sometimes for reasons that this person does not understand. (What have I done to her? She gave me the cold shoulder the whole evening at the party)

• On your toes: To be/get ready to a situation. Many times associated to army ('That goalkeeper is really on his toes.' ' Army Gen.: 'On your toes!!!')

I took this idiomatic expressions from this podcast: http://reallifeglobal.com/real-life-english-podcast-7-expressions-with-body-parts/

I really recommend this website for who wants to learn some slangs ('gírias' in pt-br):

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

It's updated very often by english speaker of all around the world.

Cheers

April 10, 2015

Thanks for sharing!

Idioms are an important part of our English learning unless you wanna sound as a robot!

April 2, 2015