Jewel
How to Study Vocabulary

I propose three key ingredients for learning vocabulary:
1. Context
You need to hear, see, and use the word in a variety of contexts. Instead of studying vocabulary words in isolation, study them in the bigger picture - sentences.
How do they relate to the real-world and everyday life? How would you use the word in a sentence? Are there certain grammar constructions that are either frequently used with it or must be used with it?
2. Emotion
Having a strong emotion tied to vocabulary exposure helps us retain the information, although, for whatever reason, some random words may stick just because and others won't stick at all. For example, an experience that is funny, enraging, shocking, or sad will be more memorable than one that is boring. Thus, encounters with vocabulary in speech will likely be more memorable than just staring at words on a paper. A class full of laughs with a tutor may provide an extra boost in your learning process.
3. Need
The vocabulary you study should be relevant to you. Of course, as you grow more and more advanced, you may branch out and extend your range. However, to start, try learning basic and common words and phrases. Then, choose words that you frequently come across along with words that you would need to know in order to talk about yourself, your life, your interests, etc.
A spaced-repetition system or online flashcard and quiz tool (memrise.com, ankisrs.net, quizlet.com) may assist you in retain vocabulary, grammar, etc. However, many people have learned to speak a language fluently without using these additional tools.
For something you have less exposure to or time to practice with, try squeezing in any time you can get during transit, your morning routine, exercise, housework, etc. Read, listen to audio, watch movies, practice speaking and writing, and use online study tools such as ankisrs.net.

See also: http://www.memrise.com/blog/why-forgetting-is-the-secret-to-learning-vocabular/

Apr 7, 2015 4:43 AM
Comments · 18

This short "discussion" has more useful information than 99% of the articles, with no fluff. Oh, and you've even included an interesting link. Just one thing.. I'm not sitting next to you at the movies.  :)

April 8, 2015

Good post, very annoying colors.

August 24, 2015

I want taking with someone. How can i Do it

April 8, 2015

Thank you so much for your kind words, Phil. In fact, after writing this I was thinking about the article section and looking into maybe writing one. That way, more people would be exposed to this and other useful information. I'm actually in the process of typing up many ideas of mine that I've formed, based on both personal experience and research.

April 8, 2015

"Learn vocabulary in Korean, just as you learned vocabulary in English - through need and use.
When you read or listen to something, look up what you don't know. Use those words in your own writing and speech. Pay attention in the future to see if the word comes up again.
When you write something or speak, look up what you don't know. Continue to use those words and to watch and listen for them.
Study vocabulary in multiple contexts, not as isolated words. It's like if people only spoke one or two words at a time to you when you were growing up. You'd have quite a difficult time trying to make natural sentences or use those words yourself in other ways. Your English would have ended up very...poor.

As an added reinforcement - not as a sole way to learn, but as a way to review and test yourself - try using flashcard systems, word lists, etc."

August 24, 2015
Show more
Jewel
Language Skills
Albanian, Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, American Sign Language (ASL), Spanish
Learning Language
Arabic, Korean, Spanish