yunus
which books should we read?difficult books or easy books

ı wonder whick books we should ?

should we read difficult books to try to memorize many words or easy books to understand and to improve skill of understanding?

Apr 7, 2015 9:23 PM
Comments · 10

Gertie, you've asked so good. I'm going to use everything you've written.

Yunus, I have the same problems with too many new words. Usually I make copy paste to Word file,

if it is possible and I write my translations and put them into brackets after the original words.

Next time, when I'm reading the same text I don't remember any more the words I've translated before, but I needn't to look again in the dictionary, because I've marked translations already before. And I'm reading all the text as many times as possible. Even much better is if I can listen while looking the text, if I can get audio too.

April 7, 2015

I think you should select books based off of your interets, current language proficiency, and goals (both overall and on that specific "mission". Ex. Improving reading speed, increasing vocabulary, reading along with audiobooks, etc).

Overall, reading material at or a notch above your current level will be best. 

Without challenge, there can be no growth.

You won't acquire new knowledge of idioms, slang, vocabulary, grammar, colloquiallisms, culture, etc if you're only working with what you already know.

Choosing reading material far above your level, unless perhaps you're skimming for some new information and not for understanding, is not a good idea. It can be frustrating, overwhelming, and a waste of time trying to muddle through advanced (relative to your current level) grammar and language.

April 7, 2015

Gertie thank you very much for these suggestions. to be clear ı have stared A Tale of Two Story reading book. its world classic and its original full text not a kind of stage book. so ı can read okay, ı can undrstand quite. ı wonder if it problem that being mant words (forexample 10) on the same page it takes really long time to check on dictionary and most of them are throwed away from my mind when ı pass next page.

so main question is ''which one better'': trying to memorize a lot of words like this or a few words like 2-3 words for each pages?

THANK YOU    

April 7, 2015

ı am sorry for mistakes

*I wonder which books we should read

April 7, 2015

sorry, it was my fault I did not use big character, I can write 'I' with my 'Q' keyboad

addition, thank you for your answers..

April 8, 2015
Show more