Dorothy
Do you want to be a polyglot (learn lots of languages)? Join us!

I joined a group that Jakko created on whatsap and it's a blast (lots of fun)!

We're still experimenting since this is a new idea, but what we are planning to get together a couple of native speakers for a bunch of different languages. Each native speaker will record themselves saying the phrase or sentence of the day in their native language (Monday through Friday). All the other members then record themselves trying to say the words and the native speakers listen and help with pronunciation and answer questions. We will support and coach each other. From then on all of us will know how to say that sentence in all the languages! 

We are making a website where all the pronunciations are going to be stored for easy access to review. 

The other important part is that we chat with each other when we want to. Each day of the week is for different languages. So, since I know Spanish I will be able to chat as much as I want on "Spanish Day" with our two Spanish speakers and others who know enough Spanish to participate. This coming Monday is going to be "Chinese Day" so our members who speak Mandarin will be chatting. Eventually every member will be chatting every day when we learn enough! I can't wait for that day.

Everyone has at least a basic ability in English so that we can all communicate somewhat in English, but you don't have to be advanced. A lot of English chatting is thrown in too so everyone can still participate in English if you want to. You don't have to know other languages to join, you just have to be very motivated to learn and to help others to learn your native language. Don't worry about your level. That's not important at all. I am saying my first words in all but one of the languages I'm learning in the group.

You need to have whatsap to participate.

We expect that you will need to be able to dedicate about half an hour a day Monday through Friday to learning and participating and a little more on your native language day to correct people, answer questions about your language, record your native voice for us etc. You can silence whatsap when you do not want to participate. We would like two native speakers of each language in case one person isn't available on a certain day. Time zone differences don't seem to be making any kind of problem at all since you can look and listen whenever you want to.

So far we have a really nice group of very sweet and dedicated people, but we have room for more! I am posting this because there are a few languages that I personally really want to learn for which we have no members yet.

Here's a list of who we have and whether we need another. The ideal is to have 2 dedicated members from each language who participate fully. So far, here's what we have:
English - ME! There is another English speaker but he's not participating much so we are looking for another native English speaker as well. We had English Day yesterday and it was great fun.
Portuguese - We're handled there. Jakko, (the teacher who started the group) is Brazillian and there is another wonderful Brazillian member as well.
Spanish - We have two members who speak Spanish. One is from Uruguay and one is from Spain. Both are great!
German - We have one fantastic member, so there is an opening for another wonderful German person if anyone is interested.
Russian - We have one member who just started so there is room for another.
Mandarin - We have a member from Taiwan who joined the other day so there is room for another Mandarin speaker.
Italian - We have one member who is going to start soon, so there is room for another Italian speaker.

The other languages that I myself want to attract members for are:
French
Japanese
Hawaiian (if by some miracle we could find a native speaker I would jump up and down with glee!

If you speak a language not listed and want to join please post or write to me! We are very open to all ideas and language possibilities. 

Thanks!

Apr 11, 2015 11:28 PM
Comments · 37

Making progress. 

We're finding such wonderful people!

Here's the updated list of what we are looking for now: 

German - one more
Mandarin - one more
Italian - one more
Arabic - one more
French - two
Japanese - two

Day by day the list gets shorter! :D 

If you are interested you have to send me your whatsap number in a personal message here or there's no way to add you to the group. 

As a group we also have decided for each native speaker to record one word or short phrase in their native language for the group Monday through Friday. Yesterday was "Hello" and today is "My name is" so that if we want to we can learn every language at the same time little by little. 

April 14, 2015

That's so very true Tiletha! I have trouble with some accents too. 

April 12, 2015

When it comes to Arabic there is a concensus now that the group would like to invite a female Arabic speaker to balance our new male Arabic speaker. So when it comes to Arabic, we are now looking for a woman Arabic speaker only. 

April 12, 2015

This discussion has happily brought us a new member! Mohammed will be teaching us Egyptian Arabic. 

As a group yesterday and today we have talked over how many languages we want to have and which they will be. We are going to learn 10 languages so that we can have discussions in 2 languages a day Monday through Friday. The languages we decided that we would like to learn together are: Portuguese, English, Spanish, German,  Russian, Mandarin, Italian, French, Arabic and Japanese. 

Here is the list of the languages that we have openings for native speakers in:

English - one more 

German - one more 

Russian - one more 

Mandarin - one more 

Italian - one more 

Arabic - one more

French - two 

Japanese - two

April 12, 2015

Hi everyone! I'm the Russian voice of the group!:) We would like to have one more Russian member! Будет здорово, если к нам присоединится русскоязычный мужчина, тогда у нас будет как женский, так и мужской голос для аудиозаписей.

April 17, 2015
Show more