Kate
What kind of people would you like to choose as your language partners?^_^

Italki is like a community and people are here for different reasons, teaching, chating, making friends, finding tutors...As a language exchange website, I believe many people do want to find language partners. We choose others and are also chose by others at the same time.

So I'm really curious about how people choose language partners. What kind of people would you like to choose?  Which aspects are important for you? Characters, levels of languages, schedule or...?

Thanks for your share in advance.

Apr 15, 2015 4:15 PM
Comments · 24

@Mewe: A famous proverb where I come from says: "إذا أتتك مذمتي من ناقص فهي الشهادة لي بأني كامل" and in English it means: "If criticism came from a deficient person, it means I'm perfect" :) Thank you very much.

A little dusting for your heart and soul will help you a lot, maybe one day you'll learn how to be happy without venting your anger and frustration on others. Good luck (,")

@Katherine: All the respect for you and your discussion and I hope you'll forgive me for barge in like that :)

April 16, 2015

@Julia: Perhaps, some people are on the site for way too long, maybe because you got way too much of free time? "Compromise" will have to be made from both sides, and not just expecting the other. To be honest, I thought the exchange was going rather well, but I cannot be present here every single day, as I got a life! Just for a bit of a delay of four days, you choose to stop..altogether? That is not how one would define "compromise"!

PS. How people are actually in real life is very different from what they want to be...but many get confused between the two!

April 17, 2015

I am not seeking a 'kind' of people, but some qualities in them:

- generous

- intelligent

- has consideration for my time (I surely have for his or her)

- we have some common interest, or at least I don't dislike his/her interests

- we can work out a common work schedule

- don't get angry for little misunderstanding on petty stuff.

What I wrote is just to start.

April 17, 2015

Someone who's not shy to speak on the microphone or with the camera because as I am learning a language, speaking is the skill that I cannot do alone! I can practice reading, writing and listening all by myself but speaking requires someone else.

Also, someone who's very extrovert so the conversation won't be an ackward moment! I am extrovert but I need the other person to collaborate as well.  

April 16, 2015

Hm I figured out that I do care about people who correct my mistakes or give me tips on how to express myself in a better way. 80 percent of the people just say nothing or thank you for the compliments that I am already good at it.

It maybe sounds quite picky but, although I appreciate the compliment, I still expect them to give me some correction or tips because it is a fact that I am still making mistakes in Spanish.

Next comes the same as says Mewe: regularity. This doesn't mean they have to show up each single day, we all have a personal life lol, but it should be regular.

And the last point on which I have to work yet. Being able to make compromises. I don't suggest to do a language exchange if the partners are completely different. But it would make life easier if people who are not thaaaat different from each other find a compromise. But yeah, that's the hardest part about it, I am still working myself on that xD.

April 16, 2015
Show more