Nhung
In your country, do people eat dog meat?

In Vietnam, dog slaughter is becoming more and more popular and dog meat is seen as a favorite dish of Vietnamese people.

Dog is like as a close and faithful friend of human, that's why we are urging Vietnamese people to sign the form to send to the Vietnamese government, we ask them to enact laws against killing dog.

And you, how do you think about this?

Apr 16, 2015 2:40 PM
Comments · 60

I'm not sure why people are so horrified when they hear about dog meat consuming. If I look at the situation from the distance and from a completely ambivalent point of view, then there's no reason to be horrified, besides what we were taught to think.

Do dogs meant for food suffer? Yes, they do and we should be horrified. Do cows, pigs and chickens meant for food suffer? Yes they do and we should be horrified.
Thinking we're any better because we care for dogs is hypocritic. Why we're horrified only if a dog suffer? They can all feel the pain so why is one pain worth more than another?

In my opinion, even if an animal is meant for food, it should have as painless life as possible until the death. At least this, if a happy life is not an option. They all deserve respect. We should be horrified because we don't care. And honestly, mostly we don't. Or maybe we do care, but only to the point when we gain something from other creature's pain.

In Slovenia we don't eat dogs, they're considered as pets, but gipsies are stealing peoples' dogs and sometimes eat them.
People here are also horrified because of this, but technically, one (or some, who knows) group of people here is consuming dogs. Liked or not, this is the truth.
I'm wondering why is nobody horrified when gipsies are hunting and eating rare and law protected hedgehogs. Interesting, isn't it?

I'm vegetarian from my teen years, so, despite trying hard to take a neutral look on the situation, I may be biased.

April 17, 2015

No my dear we don't eat dog meat. In Islam we are not allowed to eat any animal that eats meat.

It takes a lot of courage to change something like that in your country, so I admire you and what you are trying to do :)

We usually have dogs to watch houses, lands and livestock, they're very faithful. For 10 years now people started having them as pets in their backyards and inside their houses as well. Right now my neighbour is yelling at her 2 German Shepherds and Siberian husky as always because they never listen ;) yet I know she loves them very much and I know dog lovers would never imagine their lives without them (,")

April 17, 2015

Some people might be really culturally shocked by eating dog meat... I personally think it's normal because some countries might view America and other Western countries like:

"OMG??? You eat cows? And pigs?!?!? OMG..."

However, I personally view dogs as disgusting creatures in general (sorry dog lovers). I love cats :D! But noone here eats dogs from my knowledge. I know South Korea eats them!

April 16, 2015

We don't eat dog meat in Germany. There even was a scandal one or two years ago when it was disclosed that some pasta dishes contained horse meat without clear indication on the packaging.
If you ask me: I don't want to eat a dog. But I cannot really explain why. What's the difference between an dog and a pig? I think if we'd have a better understanding of the cruel way these animals were treated and in the end slaughtered, most Germans would become vegetarians. But most people don't want to know...

April 16, 2015

@Dorothy

I'm not sure how you came to conclusion that I think we shouldn't eat animals. I most certainly don't think so and I never said so. I think we should provide them fair treatment before we eat them, that's what I think.

And I'm trying to take as neutral look on the situation as possible. Admiring one animal because of sentimental feelings while forgeting all the others is not an option for me. Neither is worth more than any other because of a ceartain abitity. 

From a different point of view, insects do much more work helping us to survive. If insects are gone, we'll starve. You need those more than dogs. From a selfish and point of view. Yet we don't care if a bee dies, we care because it stung us. That's how we are. 

April 18, 2015
Show more