Mike
Empty Brain

Does anyone else have this problem?  I'm new to learning German but want to immerse myself in it in order to speak easily and well.  Besides taking lessons, I decided to converse with an iTalki Community Language Partner yesterday.  I enjoyed the company and conversation with an exceptionally nice native German speaker.  His English was excellent!  However, when I attempted to speak German, it was like my brain disconnected from my voice. I couldn't recall much!  I had a similar situation occur years ago in Argentina speaking Spanish which lasted for a week or two.

So, my question is:  How do you get over your nervousness/stage fright?

Apr 18, 2015 1:14 PM
Comments · 2

I repeated each sentence in House of Cards (1990 Version). In my opinion, the muscles for producing the sound have also to learn and exercise as the brain has to learn and exercise. But the most difficult thing is to learn and produce in an instant the right phrase because the language consist of phrases not of words.

A further advantage is that no one corrects my mistakes. Correcting mistakes while speaking makes me nervous and insecure. In most of the cases I know the mistake while I make it, or at least a few seconds afterwards. A review at the end of the lesson/conversation is helpful, but I hate to be corrected during the conversation. I express my wish not to be corrected during the conversation right from the start. I appreciate help when it comes to finding the right expression, but I cannot deal with interruptions. In this case - everything dies. Language learning has to be like playing and having fun by succeeding after trying 100 times as hard as I can.

May 8, 2015

I had a similiar thing in English few years ago. I had to take some English classes extra and even though I was winning English competitions, my speaking ability never went beyond sayng Hello. I started then every week 1vs1 conversations and at the beginning it was awful, but as time passed I began to say more and more. It was stresfull annoying and I had to forget about how scared I am of speaking. I made mistakes, then I was corrected, and at home I began to speak to myself in English and I tried to build sentences. I guess you have to start with the simple words and phrases, and even if you have to stop to think about some constructions and words, sometimes it is ok to say simple words (verbs and nouns for example) in order to be understood. I know it is possible and I think that the more you speak in this language, the better, just be sure to have someone to correct your mistakes. 

good luck :)

April 18, 2015