Nooshin
is wisdom hereditary or obtained???
Apr 18, 2015 3:25 PM
Comments · 17

In my humble opinion it has to be learned.

<em>According to Confucius there are three ways in which one may learn wisdom:</em>

<em></em>
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and
Third by experience, which is the bitterest.

Wikepedia gives the following definition of wisdom:

Wisdom is the ability to think and act using knowledge, experience, understanding, common sense, and insight. Wisdom has been regarded as one of four cardinal virtues; and as a virtue, it is a habit or disposition to perform the action with the highest degree of adequacy under any given circumstance.

One can become wise by observing & learning from other's mistakes and by making own mistakes too. In life one will have to learn by both ways. So in my opinion it is not by birth though some people might be born with sharper mind that might help them become wise earlier than others but wisdom has got to do a lot with controlling emotions, passions etc. and handling situation, crisis, etc. optimally. And it is a constant learning process as what one might have learnt by experience 5 years back might not be relevant in today's time due to many dynamic changes in society, system, etc.  Few things can be true for all times.

Interesting topic Nooshin! Let us have views from others and yourself too!

April 18, 2015

brilliant question!

in my opinion, wisdom only could be gained over a period of time.

but IQ on the other hand, sadly to say, is heavily related to our genes, but still able to develp partially through intellectual activities. 

April 18, 2015

Wisdom requires having experience; it's 100% acquired.

March 9, 2016

Great question.

In my opinion there is not such thing as hereditary wisdom. It can be only obtained. Of course... wisdom doesn't equal intelligence and intelligence doesn't equal knowledge. We are gaining wisdom through our experiences and hard work. So, yes... we may "earn" wisdom and we need to have a lot of free will to do that. I think that some kind of "process" of obtaining wisdom has been described by Jack London in "Martin Eden". I was really impressed with the book and this is what makes me express that opinion.

March 10, 2016

yep...

i regret the intellectual of one time...

of course they were a disaster...

but at least they didn't want our money...

Nietzsche was a disaster...

in a few books  have destroy 1800 years of humanity...

but became ill for this...

he took no money at all...

nowadays we pay this kind of people for ruin our life...

is another world brother...

another world... 

smile... :)

March 10, 2016
Show more