Parisa
Start learning German

I am a complete beginner learning Swiss German. I have no background of German language, and I don't know how to start it. Would you give me some advice?

Apr 19, 2015 4:57 AM
Comments · 4

You should start with hochdeutsch. Plenty of resources out there. I do NOT suggest a language partner. It makes only sense when you know a lot and can talk. 

Then, in your spare time, look at Schwizerdütsch. You can listen to it on some online radiostations. News are usually in near hochdeutsch. 

Note: you can survive in CH hochdeutsch too. Even many Germans that work there do not speak Schwizerdütsch.

April 19, 2015

I think it is important to listen to the language first so that you learn the correct pronunciation and accent in the beginning. I don't recomment start learning German by reading in the beginning. There are many online German courses and there are videos on YouTube.

Ideally, you should have a language partner who could correct your pronunciation and for practising speaking skills.

Learn first a few useful sentences by heart and later you can start learning how to read and grammar rules. Why do you want to learn Swiss German and not German German?

April 19, 2015

I think best way to learn new language is you need to feel like you are living there. You must find native speakers and  keep in touch with them everyday . And in the meanwhile you should listen German songs/ watch german movies 

April 20, 2015

Thank you so much for your advice.

The reason is that I want to emigrate to Zurich in the near future.

April 19, 2015