Ronan
Is it okay to stop a language because you get bored?

Should you abandon a language because you're getting bored with it or stick it out and keep working on it?
In my case, I wanted to start learning Arabic last year but I didn't because my school didn't offer it as an extra language. I chose German instead, since I was wanting to eventually learn that as well. However, recently I have decided to stop doing German as an extra language because of the work overload with other subjects and just focus on Italian.
I was thinking that maybe I could pursue German on the side still when I have to the time, but I'm finding myself to be a little bored with it and I'm thinking of looking into Arabic instead. Should I give up German for the moment and start Arabic or should I just stick it out because I've already learned a fair bit this year? Advice please :/

Apr 19, 2015 11:51 AM
Comments · 2

Well, a language is something that can only be properly learnt if you have interests in it. Your brain won't aborb information as easily if you're bored of it. You can always take up Arabic now and leave German for later when you feel like learning it. The good thing about learning a language is that you can do it at any stage of your life, since you can easily find ways to learn it outside of school. 

You might forget German along the way but you can always re-learn it when you decide to:)

April 19, 2015

There's a simple test. Just let go for a while and see if you miss it. If you do, that means you were simply tired or working through a less compelling aspect of the language and now you can resume things. If you don't, better think of something else. Consider the materials you've been using, too. They might be less than intereting. Perhaps changing the materials would make you feel more engaged.

April 19, 2015