Barry
The Mysterious and Ubiquitous Italki Follower

Ever since I joined itlaki I have continuously received follower requests from individuals, male and female, with no history of lessons or sessions. However, they do generally have several notebook entries with little or no response. I know they are probably spammers, so of course I ignore their requests. It's not even much of a nuisance, but I just wish italki’s IT people would just ban them from the web site. I doubt if I am the only italki member receiving this type of follower request, but one never knows. Any thoughts on this issue?

Apr 19, 2015 10:45 PM
Comments · 3

I never got any,you are popular.Barry:)

May 6, 2015

Liu laoshi; 我觉得你有很多追随者!

May 6, 2015

Barry  -  Do you mean 'XYZ' wants to be friends with you on Italki' ?

I get these from many of those whose Notebook entries I have corrected.  Since I generally pay them no attention, I don't know whether they are actually following me or not, and it doesn't matter to me. If someone wants to contact me, they can always write a message, so the 'Follower' option is redundant.

The 'Follower' syndrome appears to be an anomaly created by the way in which Italki encourages members to seek 'friends'.  The turnover on the site is high : many users start by posting something, and looking for 'friends', but lose interest and do not follow up on their initial enthusiasm.

April 19, 2015