[Deleted]
Studying Abroad- 留学する

Hey! I'm Claire and new to italki :)

From September this year I will be studying abroad at a Japanese University for a year.

I've travelled before but never lived in another country..

I'm not going to lie, I am quite nervous.. My japanese isn't good enough that I can just confidently go and talk to anyone..

Will I only become friends with English speakers?

So I was wondering if anybody here had been on a year abroad before? What were your thoughts and experiences about speaking and making friends with people from that country?

Any tips? 

Any regrets?

More specifically for Japanese University Students.. Do you want to become friends with exchange students? Do you go and speak to them?

Would you be surprised if some random person (ie. me) came up to you and started speaking to you?

I'll be studying at Okayama University so if anybody knows anything about Okayama or the university please tell me :)!

Thanks!

--

はじめまして、私はクレアです〜

今年の9月から、私は一年間日本に留学します。旅行することがありますが、他の国に住んでいることがありません。

実は、緊張しています…他の人に日本語でまだ話すことができません…

留学する間に、英語しか話せないか、英語が話せる人だけと友達になるかなぁ

ですから、皆さん、留学することがありますか 他の学生と話したり、友達になったりするのをどう思いますか。

アドバイスがありますか。

後悔がありますか。

経験を教えてください^^!

日本人の大学生、留学生と友達になりたいんですか。知らない留学生はあなたに話し始めたら、少し驚いていますか。

私は岡山大学で留学します。ですから、岡山か岡山大学のことを知るなら、教えてください〜

よろしくね!

Apr 19, 2015 11:04 PM
Comments · 3

Hello. I was living in Japan for 6 years. I graduated Kokushikan University so like you I had an experiece going to Japan to study. I 100% understand what you feel. Don't worry it's easier than you think. Japanese will be super helpful if you have any problems. But making friends...Well... I can say that about 95% of all japanese studens do アルバイト and they simply don't have time to hang out with you. In my first year in Japan I had friends from all over the world but unfortunately not Japanese friends. Just don't be upset when they never call you back even if they have promised. It's not because they don't like you. You just need to consider that they have obsolutely different culture and mentality. But I'm sure that you'll find friends if you want to. I finaly did. 

Good luck with your留学!頑張ってね。

April 20, 2015

I studied abroad in japan for a year too, though it was in a highschool and not a university. My regret was not actively introducing myself to my schoolmates; they were very interested in me for the first week, but I was too shy then, and later realized I had missed many oppourtunities to make friends. 

It may have been because I was in highschool, but i was often approached for help with english homework, and everyone was happy to help me with practicing japanese. So I don't think you should be too worried about only meeting english speakers. But do introduce yourself nd have fun.

April 20, 2015

Hello, I understand your anxiety、But your Japanese is not bad haha. Japanese students are shy but they are very friendly. Do not be afraid to go ahead and talk to them in Japanese, they will be happy to learn about you. However, most of the Japanese students does not speak English, or too shy to talk in English. So I recommend you to talk in Japanese most of the time, it is also very good for your goals right? :) 
I want to go to a Japanese langage school for a year I envy you so much haha! 

April 19, 2015